Diluting paint with Windex

A little while back, some people said Windex was a good dilutant for acrylic paint.

I'm about to try using my airbrush again (got frustrated, put it down for a while). Could you guys share what proportions you used? Approximate amounts would be OK!

Thanks,

-- Mike (ODO)

Reply to
Mike (ODO)

I use it as needed to thin the paint. It works just great btw.. You can't go wrong with it by adding too much. Your paint will just be too thin. I have had really good luck using it as it breaks surface tension down to near nill. The paint flows incredibly well. And it dries fast. And it doesn't smell bad.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I'll just second what's been said...I've used a small amount of windex in water as a thinner and brush cleaner for at least the last ten years.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

I've just returned to Tamiya acrylics after staying away from them for the past year. If memory serves, I thinned them with iso alcohol and never had much luck. Now, after using ModelMaster and PollyScale with success, I've returned to Tamiya; however, this time I'm using Tamiya thinner. They cover and flow beautifully, and unlike the other two brands, tip buildup is much reduced.

Anyone have experience with thinning Tamiya paints with windex? I've read in several places that Tamiya thinner isn't just "thinner"; it also contains a flow agent. Advice?

Cheers,

Reply to
David E. Young

I can't speak to what's in it but as a newcomer to Tamiya acrylics, I'd recommend them WITH their thinner. I use Model Master enamels by a wide margin and got much better action/reaction with MM Airbrush thinner than with mineral spirits or lacquer thinner. While you may find a substitute thinner for Tamiya paints, I doubt you'll find a replacement... Just my $.02...

Frank Kranick

ps - their thinner smells just like isopropyl alcohol though, doesn't it?

David E. Young wrote:

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

in article snipped-for-privacy@uofs.edu, Francis X. Kranick, Jr. at snipped-for-privacy@uofs.edu wrote on 1/26/04 4:01 PM:

I thin Tamiya with isopropyl or denatured alcohol.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

Me too, and it seems to work fine. I do go pretty high on the scale, say

60-40 biased to alcohol, and put down multiple coats. I think the air pressure is also critical, though I don't have a guage, so I can't offer data--I operate by loosening the relief valve a certain number of turns from fully closed. It just seems that there is a sweet spot for the pressure that makes the paint flow perfectly.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Yes, I tend to agree. I'll stick with Tamiya thinner, and leave the other mediums to the airbrush experts. Tamiya thinner certainly has a smell to it...

David.

Reply to
David E. Young