Display Cases ?

Hi all I'm fed up with my 72nd & 48th aircraft getting dusty, I was thinking of putting some in some sort of display case (cases). What's a good source for such items?

Cheers

Andy

-=Plane Mad=-

Reply to
-=Plane Mad=-

You might think of making them yourself. It's not hard. Just need a supplier of 1/8" Plexiglas or similar acrylic and some cement that's compatible. I use Weld On #4. I have models in cases that I built over 20 years ago and there's not a speck of dust.

I build mostly single engine 1/48 WWII and find that most will fit in a case

10 x 12 inches.

Be careful ordering the Plexi. Most places will cut and fire polish the edges for you so assembly is a breeze as long as you order the right sizes. For my cases I get a 10 x 12 top, and two 5 x 12 sides and two 9 3/4 x 4 ends.

Cost of materials varies but for me it's about $20?certainly reasonable for protecting an investment of time and money several times over the cost of the case.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

Was walking around the local shopping mall the other day (aka "old phart's exercise") and noted by the JC Penny's that they were dumping some glass cases. They were about 24" deep, 6' wide and maybe 42" high. $5.00 each for three (okay one had a side piece blown out) This is in Western New York. Point is they're out there, just look around.

Reply to
Old Timer

Depending upon their actual physical size, aquariums turned upside down can do a real nice job. Especially if you put a nice scene or background color on the backside of the tank. John

-=Plane Mad=- wrote:

Reply to
John DeBoo

Keep an eye out; I got mine from a bakery that didn't need it any longer. I was just thinking I wanted to buy one when I went in for my morning coffee and the owner asked if I knew anyone who could use a 6' display case.... hmm!!

Other than that, check aucti> Hi all

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

That would be a DRMO Stephen. Also... check IKEA if you have one around you. A little bit more maybe, but not much, and something the wife wouldn't mind being in her living room.

Reply to
Moi

Reply to
Hub & Diane Plott III

I got one from the Pentagon. A private Vets organization had a display outside our office about 10 years ago. When the Pentagon planned its remodeling project, they directed that all display cases needed to be removed from the hallways. This one was 8' long by 7 ' high and 24" deep with two huge glass front-opening doors, glass sides, and top, and fiberboard back. I called the owner of the case and advised him it needed to go. He came in and emptied it out but said he had no way to move it (all the glass was 1/4' plate and it weighed about 400 lbs). I told him it would be thrown out if he didn't take it and he said he didn't care. Then, in a flash of brilliance, I asked him if he would mind if I took it and he said I was welcome to it.

A modeling buddy, who is also a long-time dear friend stationed at the Pentagon with me, and I went in there on a Saturday with a dolly and a property pass and removed it - THANKS ED! It had been there so long that it was literally glued down to the floor with "Future" or whatever they used as floor polish over the past several years but we finally got it loose, down to the loading dock, onto my son-in-law's truck. and home. It's now in the storage shed but, when we move to our new house, it will go down in the basement family room. The best part was that it was FREE!.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Free is the best price IMO. I had a 6'Lx2'Wx34"H glass case that came out of a jewelry store given to me. It was pretty cool....1/4 beveled plate glass top, glass front, glass sides, and two glass shelves. With lights in it no less! Sliding, locking doors (with the keys!) on back and under the display area there was rear facing storage. They were remodeling the jewelry store and a friend of mine said there were two left, asked if I wanted one, so he brought it 5 hours to me. Alas...had to sell it when I moved to Texas...no place for it! Mike

Reply to
Mike G.

Also don't forget store liquidation/going-out-of-business sales. The store fixtures are often on sale as well as the inventory.

Reply to
MJ Rudy