Airbrush Basic Advice Needed

I'm thinking of getting my first Airbrush and Compressor and having a quick look around at the models available some immediate questions some to mind.

My modelling is mostly 1/35th armour with a few aircraft (1/48th and

1/32nd).

I've got my head around the different compressors available and the differences between internal/external mix and single/double action.

I've decided to look for an internal double action which I appreciate will be a little more difficult to start with but will be more flexible.

I don't want make/model suggestions (I can work that out on my own) but I'm not sure of a couple of things

(A) What are the benefits of Gravity Feed versus Suction Feed

(B) What size cup would best suit my modelling. I've seen gravity feeds with a fixed cup of 2cc, gravity feeds with a side cup of 7cc and suction feeds with bottles around 22cc - how much does 7cc cover?

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

Go here and learn from the guru, the late Ted Holowchuk:

(also Bill Johnson's CO2 article is excellent if you want to go that way)

Have fun!

----Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Gravity feed means no additional air pressure to suck the paint up. Less pressure means finer lines.

Depends on many factors, such as the size of the nozzle, thinning ratio, the paint itself, etc. Using a .2mm tip on a gravity-fed double action, I can usually paint a single seater cockpit using about 3-4 drops of paint (plus the thinner); with a .4mm tip, it takes about 12-15 drops of paint to cover one side of an average single engine WWII airplane in the same scale. I just finished priming a 1/35 Leclerc with no more than 4 ml of airbrush-ready primer... Your mileage may vary.

Reply to
Serge D. Grun