Duplicate sprue

I recently acquired an addition to the kit stash. The kit is a special issue from AMTech and Hobby Lobby. The aircraft is a P40-E with a blackbox resin "K" tail conversion. When I opened the box, I found a duplicate " A " sprue in a separate bag. I checked with a friend who has the same kit, with the same duplicate bag inside. Question: Why did AMTech go to the trouble and expense of adding a duplicate sprue to the kit when one "A" sprue would have been sufficient? There are not enough other parts to build 2 airplanes. I thought that AMTech might have included the duplicate in case the purchaser fouled up the cuts necessary to do the conversion, however, AMTech did not put a duplicate sprue in the kit that offered the long nose conversion for the P40. Thanks for the tech assist. Regards, Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Apple

I say, never look a gift sprue in the mouth

;^)

Martin

Reply to
centennialofflight

Maybe they were getting a lot of requests for replacement parts on previous kit+conversion releases, from modelers who had fouled up the cuts, so they decided to start including spares. The plastic itself is relatively cheap, and it'd reduce the customer service workload, so the extra sprue could actually save them money.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

Compare the fuselage parts carefully. They one of them probably has a big step near the tail wheel that was a goof in the molding process. AMTech had to replace a bunch of parts when that came out (and they did so admirably well). I don't know if this is the same P40 kit, but maybe that's what it was about.

They may have thrown the extra sprue into the box without removing the old tree.

--- T> I recently acquired an addition to the kit stash. The kit is a special

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni