USS Forestal CV-59

Is there a conversion kit to back date the Italieri 1/720 scale ship to 1965 era? If not is the revell CV-60 Saratoga my best chance to build this kit?

Reply to
Sluf33

">

If I remember right the Forrestal came out first - release as Saratoga was second. They did the same thing with the Franklin Roosevelt - Coral Sea and Midway were simple repackaging. I built all 5 when they first came out - and was somewhat disappointed as I realized it was a sister rip-off. Very pleasant suprise when the 1/700th scale kits started coming from Japan and sister were from significantly different periods.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

I can't answer about the conversion kit but the Saratoga is most likely the same kit as the Forrestal. Revell had a penchant for releasing the same kit with different decals. It got to be really irritating with airplanes as, for example, they would release their P-39Q with markings for 'D's but make no attempt to modify the mould.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

There is an alternative to the Italeri & Revell kits. Airfix/Heller released a 1/600 scale Forrestal. I believe either the Airfix or the Heller boxing is currently available. A kit review can be found at:

Martin

Reply to
Martin