F-18 prototype 1

Well, the (old) Monogram kit showed up, full LEX slots, wing dogtooth and all...

Looking through photos, I don't see the tail formation light strips - or any panels for them. Am I right in thinking these need to be sanded off? (My D&S on the F-18 prototypes isn't with me at the moment, either...)

And I see just *how* early the annoying Diagonal Line of No Detail appeared on the kit (from LEX edge to nose, lower fuselage.) Ah well, not like I haven't fixed that before.

Given the vent locations and such, I think I'll end up having to paint (at least) the gold fuselage markings...

Any suggestions, for anyone remembering this kit?

Reply to
EGMcCann

If you have or can locate IPMS Quarterly, Vol.16, No.3 there are many colour diagrams therein. Apparently the upper planview of #1 was published in 15Q1 which I'd love to see. There is one picture of #1 at the beginning of the article and I don't see any sign of light strips on the vertical fin. I'm currently spending some time with the old 1/144th F-18 for which I scratched new horizontal stabs with the 'snag'.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

The picture of Hornet 1 in D&S Vol 1, pages 3 and 33 show that it did NOT have formation lights in the tails. The picture of #2 on page 8, however does have them.

What I do know is that the original 7 FSD jets received numerous configuration changes throughout the test program - depending on when you choose to depict any one of them, you are going to find various things different - for example, if you are planning on depicting Hornet

1 as it rolled out the ailerons should be smaller/shorter and not extend to the wing tip. Good shot of #7 in this config on page 18. The AIM-7 wells/fairings on the cheeks changed, too. Check your refs.
Reply to
Rufus