filling windows

I'm starting on a airliner now, and I decided on filling up all the windows and using the decals. I glued a strip of styrene on the inside of the fuselage, thinking that would make it easier to fill the windows with putty, but it's not going the way I had expected it too, is there an easier way?

Reply to
Nemesis

If you paint the strip black before installation, and then use a toothpick to fill the window areas with either white glue (Elmer's, which dries clear) or model window glaze material (available from Micromark), you may end up with a much better represenattion than the decals.

Tom Dougherty ( snipped-for-privacy@aol.com)

Reply to
Ives100

What is the "problem"? Is it shrinkage in the putty? If so, try filling your styrene-backed window holes with A&B putty, or other two-part epoxy putty.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

"Nemesis" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I haven't done this windowfilling action myself yet but I wouldn't use putty for this since putty takes very long to stop shrinking. Thick layers in particular so that there is a fair chance you will keep seeing the contours of the windows afterwards. I'm not sure if it is the easiest way but I would saw/file/sand the array of windows in one big slot and fill that with a strip of plastic and sand it flush with the rest of the fuselage. When done properly I can assure you won't see any trace of the windows afterwards.

Reply to
Bassie Adriaensen

Put a strip of masking tape on the outside, and pour superglue into the windows from the inside of the fuselage half. Hit it with accelerator, them peel away the masking tape and sand smooth. You may want to leave a couple of window shapes visible (as long as they're in the right place) to allow you to judge where to put the decals after painting.

Reply to
Jeff C

This is the best method I've found except that I would substitute slow setting epoxy for super glue. I've had problems with super glue and the tape adhesive. Still easier than the other way. Curt

Reply to
C Knowles

If this is a fairly small scale airliner, a very simple method, and one that I have used, albeit on model cars (but the principle is the same) is to put a strip of masking tape over the window openings on the INSIDE of the fuselage half (gotta do this before assembly, of course!). Then, fill each window opening with gap-filling CA glue, use a good accelerator (my preference is Bob Smith Models Accelerator, in the little spray bottle), allow to cure out, then some careful filing and sanding (take the time to fill any imperfections in these patches with more CA), sand out smooth with outside of fuselage, then after assembling the fuselage, paint just as you would the entire model! You will never note where the window openings went, and CA will never shrink!

Art Anderson

Reply to
EmilA1944

someone at IPMS[UK] mercia told me of this was which he said works well enough.

before gluing the two fuselage halves together, go for the milliput. roll it out into strips slightly wider than the opening of one individual window. then press the strip along the line of the windows and through each window. allow to harden and then sand off from the outside.

i would prefer this over the strips of styrene and then using the squadron green stuff as the green stuff takes a long time to harden really well if you apply it in quantities any more than just a bit.

trevor

Reply to
87015