Fletcher class DD

I rarely build ship models, but lately I've been wanting to change that.
I just got the Squadron/Signal _Fletcher DDs in Action_ because I've
heard that the Tamiya 1/350 kit is quite good. I know that GMM has a
photoetch set for this kit. Is it any good? And is there anything else I
should know before taking on this project? TIA.
Reply to
Joe Jefferson
You can't go wrong with that combination. GMM puts out a quality product, as does Flag Ship and White Ensign Models. The Tamiya Fletcher is a very nice kit and makes a great introduction to ship buidling. It is very suitable for advance techiniques as well, and the variety of camoflauge options is tremendous, as you can see in your book.
If you want figures for your model, you can get GMM's set, or check out Presier's 1/350 scale injected figures (though the latter are quite expensive).
Good luck with your project!
Kurt
Kurt Greiner
SeaPhoto Maritime Photography ...delete "net" to reply
- now taking online payments via Paypal
Learn about large scale r/c model warships- Warship Models Underway
Kurt Greiner
You can do an early war round bridge ship from the Tamiya kit, it lacks the later war AA and radar fit. AFAIK the only accuracy nitpick is the gun placement in the turrets, they should be left of the centerline as you look into the muzzle, WEM makes a resin set that is correct on this. This will not be noticeable to 99.9% of the folks who look at the model. I've seen the Tom's and Eudard sets and have used the GMM set, I prefer the GMM. There are a few tub braces you can add from strip and rod stock if you wish but you'll need a book with drawings to accurately render them. If you plan to rig the kit, you'll need to make a couple flag bags and replace the mast and yard parts with brass rod (also add a few stubs on the stacks and superstructure IIRC). Simply adding the PE makes the kit look impressive, add rigging and it goes to WOW!
Joe Jeffers>
Reply to
Ron
As has already been said the Tamiya model and the GMM set are a winnning combination. I built my fletcher as she was after her 1943 re-fit and its looks great (even if I say so my self). I'll post a pic to Alt Binaries model scale so you can see what a great looking model it turns out as.
Reply to
John Pickstock
Just looked there and... Wow! Great job. Thanks for sharing that.
Reply to
Joe Jefferson