[GEN] Lawyers Lay Waste to Military Models Industry

Amazingly, our problems have caught the attention of Strategy Page and Instapundit! Maybe there's hope for us yet...

Al Superczynski

Hey, I resemble that remark! Lawyers aren't the problem here!

The article actually says, "These royalty demands grew out of the idea that corporations should maximize =3Fintellectual property=3F income. "

You see, lawyers don't sue people, people sue people. In this case large corporations sue not so large corporations.

Kaliste Saloom (IPMS #30703) (Louisiana State Bar Association #14390)

Reply to
Kaliste Saloom

That is about the dumbest damned statement I've ever read. What a cheezy-assed means of justifying your unethical trade.

Reply to
John DeBoo

Or we had all better prepare for giving the asterisk key a real workout: L*ckh**d, N*rthr*p, B***ng, R*p*bl*c, N*rth *m*r*c*n,... groan...

Greedy fargin' bastards - all parties concerned. The defense contractors, the pencil necked pussy wimp consultants that sold mgmt on bloodletting the kit companies and of course, the scheisters stretched out thumbing thru the new BMW brochures at the prospect of bobbing for dollars in deep pockets.

Maybe the EU should get all the US defense spending. Where's the phone! ;-)

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Not all lawyers are bad actors but, unfortunatly, there seems to be a large number who make their living litigating for cash with little or no regard for the people they are damaging. They will say almost anything to try to mask the fact that they have something in common with the leech. The only difference is, their blood sucking is designed to do damage for their own personal gain where as the leech's blood sucking usually repairs damage with little gain for the leech except for a warm meal. :)

Reply to
unimodeler

Thread drift alert!

Just because Jackson is weird doesn't mean we should presume him to be guilty. He's still entitled to equal protection under the law. He

*should* get the best defense attorney money can buy.
Reply to
Al Superczynski

Don't shoot the messenger! If you follow the link I posted you'll see I lifted that subject directly from the article at Strategy Page.

Anyway, I think everybody is missing the point I was trying to make - that's that people outside our hobby are recognizing that there's a problem.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Just remember, there are things worse than lawyers.

See the post from the guy selling the Lionel domain name.

The selling of domaine names is one of the worst scams ever developed. It has to be the ultimate in money for no value received and no legitimate "owner" of the domaine name.

What a bunch of bums.

Oh, and before I forget (appologes to our resident legal folks): What do you call ten dead lawyers floating down the river?

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

water pollution?

OK that's you -- how about one of our local politicains - he represented a woman in a child support case and pocketed the entire $20,000 they got out of the dead beat dad. So the opposition filmed a commercial with her. His guys told her - hey you still owe him another $15,000 in expenses which he won't forgive if you don't pull the commercial - which she did.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Let's not lose sight of the fact the lawyers in these instances are only doing what upper management wants them to do. It's not like lawyers line up at the door of Boeing and inform the shareholders of lost revenue from not following-up on intellectual property issues, looking for their share of the pie. I'm certain management is quite aware of all this and they set the wheels in motion. It's very easy to slight the profession unless you look at them in the light that they're tools of the corporations just like an aviation mechanic or engineer might be.

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

A nice start....

-- John (whose sister committed a grave mistake and married one of "those" scumbags [of the crooked variety - the SOB even steals from family, ferGawd'ssake!] and whose family has been paying the price ever since)

Reply to
The Old Timer

in article wmGMd.1041107$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com, e at snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote on 2/4/05 2:28 AM:

a raft of trouble?

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

a sea of dreams?

doesn't the military have some policy about illegal orders? maybe lawyers could take a lesson?

John DeBoo

Sorry guys, but I gotta side with Kaliste on this one. My ex and I had reason to resort to legal counsel in order to take an insurance company on - it cost them a fortune (one articled clerk, one solicitor, one barrister and a Queen's Council in the courtroom!) but we won a realistic settlement. Except it didn't save the marriage. But without all the legal guys, we'd be paying doctor's bills for the rest of our lives.

Lawyers are like cops; it's all good when they're on your side. But when they're giving you the ticket...

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Reply to
John DeBoo

With you on that, Al.

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

John DeBoo wrote: (snip)

Let's also keep the apples out of the orange bin... These lawyers for the entities we're discussing are doing their part for their clients - protecting their interests. Your friend dabbled in larceny has no more to do with intellectual property discussions than Adam. I personally have many friends who are lawyers. Some are very good lawyers, some not-so-good. All of them are folks I can approach and talk to, not the slippery, slimey sort being described here on RMS. The need for the profession is obvious and no amount of finger pointing and name calling will change it. I don't like the subject of paying more for a kit than what I would have paid without the 'intellectual property' legalese added but I can understand it - I don't agree with it but I understand it. It's definately the bottom line (read $$$) with these entities and always will be. They hire lawyers to protect their interests and their livelihood. Anything else (to them) is chaff...

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.