[GEN] Lawyers Lay Waste to Military Models Industry

Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

Ruin.

But you haven't lived until you've gone through the Domestic Relations torture chamber. I don't understand why they get perplexed about the need for sheriff's deputies on duty. Our local one now includes a metal detector and some really beefy sheriff's deputies. They are in the downtown so there's no parking nearby, you can't reach them by phone (their phone system automatically cuts you off after so many minutes during which they don't answer) and they answer mail in months' time. Smug bastards. :{

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

"Digital_Cowboy" wrote

But you can - it's called a passport. With that piece of Federally-issued identification a state ID *should* be easy, at least with regard to proof of existence. That's why I-551 Permanent Resident "green" cards are accepted so readily - they are Federally issued, photograph-linked, identification. Birth/baptismal certificates can be issued by hospitals or churches - or any yahoo with a computer. Until recently (and in some places maybe still) official duplicates/replacements could be had for the asking. Social Security cards are worthless - even the Social Security Administration doesn't accept them as ID. (They are just to tell you what your number is.)

According to the NY DMV website, a passport is better than a PRC (4 points vs. 3). You say you "served your country", and I think you mentioned going to the VA. Do you have a military ID card? That's as good as a PRC at 3 points. Do you have a Veteran's Universal Access card? That's 1 point. A Credit card or bank statement is 1 point. Your SSA card (if it has your signature) would be worth 2. Ever been married? A marriage license or divorce decree is worth 2 points. A high school diploma is worth 1. A life insurance policy is worth 1, as is a utility bill. Do you have a pay stub? That's 1 point too. I have 6+ points in the file cabinet in the back bedroom. . .

However, I also recall that you had some problem with some documents listing you as "Digital Cowboy" and others listing you as "Digital Cowboy, Jr." As IDs go, that's the same as having two completely different names, because, in fact, you are not your father, and that's what the Jr. suffix was intended to show. It sounds like the DMV people are doing their job. For all they can tell, you are an estranged son trying to steal the identity and money of your father who is in a nursing home - or freshly buried under the floor of the garage. The fact that you did not consistently use the suffix in your life - leading to some documents having your name and other documents having your father's name - is not the fault of New York State.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Indubitably. When you go in there everything's your fault, from the Big Bang to the Spanish-American War to having helped create a beautiful daughter. I can definitely lay claim to that last one but I'm glad there weren't anymore after as the issue would have been in severe doubt. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I was just quoting a old line I heard about fifteen years ago.

I preffer the 7.62 x 54 R personally......... But this is for distance. For out to 400yds, 22 250 Rem does just fine at 4200 fps :) (handloads all the way)

Reply to
AM

"Digital_Cowboy" wrote in news:Xns95FBE3A1D49B2nobodynobodycom@24.168.128.86:

And after having several minor but very irritating intersectoins with thses mutts myself I ask: Why do we put up with this crap? It's our damn country, it's our life, it's our money.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I think Brad Chun used to use that "Invisible souls...." as his signature line here on RMS some years ago.

Reply to
Bill Woodier
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

"Bill Woodier" wrote

Yes, and it struck me as nonsensical then as well.

Hats off to Frank for trying to put an end to it.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Yes! Where is Brad these days?

Bill Shuey

Bill Woodier wrote:

Reply to
William H. Shuey

(blushes)

I'm just glad I'm here for you, guys... ;-)

Frank Kranick

Reply to
The Kranicks

He's probably not here. However, he's in regular attendance at both the clubs to which I go, and is a real good guy, whatever the merits of his long-disused sig.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

We have DCSE (division child support enforcement) Interesting office, totally armoured, you go in, and the people are behind bullettproof glass. Think like going into a bank here.

And a hearing there is you on one side of said glass, and the hearing officer on the other side. And you are not allowed to ask questions only answer them, period !

Our's is right next to the national headquartes of the NRA :)

Reply to
AM

There you go, using that "logic" stuff again....

John Hairell ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com)

Reply to
John Hairell

Federally-issued

identification.

Administration

Ah, BUT you still NEED to prove that YOU are YOU in order to get even a Passport. Here is the URL for the requirments to get a US Passport

Ok, then PLEASE explain to me why it was when I was in the Reserves and would use my Military ID (WHICH is in YOUR words, a Federally issued, photo-linked ID card) some stores WOULD NOT take it???

Yes, BUT as I've already told you above ONE still has to PROVE that one IS whom they are claiming to be in order to get a Passport. . . Yes, I do have a military ID card, but it is EXPIRED as I am NO LONGER on either Active Duty NOR am I still in the Reserves. Yes, I do, but the VA didn't include the Jr. on it so it isn't worth squat as far as the NY DMV is concerned. As for a Credit Card, I choose NOT to have one so as NOT to get myself into debt that would take me "forever" to get out of. NOT that it's any of your business, but NO I've never been married. Uh, haven't you been paying attention to what I've said in the past??? I take care of my elderly Grandmother who has Alzheimer's

24/7, therefor NO pay stub. . .

identity and

That is because UNTIL I got a look at my birth certificate I presumed that my father was correct when HE told me that my birth certificate had my name listed as "Digital Cowboy" and NOT as "Digital Cowboy, Jr." And uh, considering that HE helped to fill out my birth certificate shouldn't he have known what was on it??? Granted as it turns out his memory was a little faulty in this area, but still considering that HE filled it out. It was reasonable of me to take HIS word for it.

Kurt, for your information since Jr. High I have ALWAYS signed my name as "Digital Cowboy, Jr." Prior to Jr. High I used the nickname that my family has for me.

Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

Mark: Next time you see him, please tell him I said hello.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

"Digital_Cowboy" wrote

Private enterprises may set their operating rules as they see fit, more or less.

Not the fault of the State of New York.

Neither the fact that it happened or the fact that you did not seek to have it corrected is the fault of the State of New York.

Not the fault of the State of New York.

Not the fault of the State of New York.

Not the fault of the State of New York.

Again, not the fault of the State of New York.

You may be up Shit Creek, DC, but it's not the fault of the State of New York. Therefore, to raise a hue and cry about a native born citizen not being able to get an ID is really inappropriate. Their website lists FORTY-THREE items (of which at least half are unique) suitable for verifying your identity. It seems to me that they have bent over backwards to make things easy while trying to prevent identity theft and criminal identity acquisition. The fact that you have chosen to do certain things, or chosen NOT do certain things, or been on the short end of circumstances may be sad, but please don't try and paint it like the big, mean, bureaucracy is out to screw you.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Makes ours seem downright warm and fuzzy in comparison.

Interesting juxtapositioning.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

With luck, I'll be able to do so Friday evening.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Schynert