Getting old!

i use a meliere, sp? engine.

Reply to
someone

You are 903 years old?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Not much to explain really. They provide braking support for the engine on unfitted freight trains.

An unfitted freight is one that does not have a vacuum braking system. There is therefore no way of individually braking the wagons in the train. In some cases the momentum of the train can overcome the braking effect of the engine, especially on a falling grade or in an emergency stop. Therefore a brake van is added to the train, usually at the rear end. The van has a very efficient manual braking system and in some cases is loaded with concrete blocks to provide a greater braking force. The brake man rides in the van and he is required to be as familiar with the route as are the engine crew, so he knows where the falling grades and potential stops are. He can therefore apply the brakes at the requisite time and help prevent the momentum of the train from over-running the engine brakes. On heavier trains there could be additional manned brake vans located within the train itself. Although not strictly needed on fitted freight trains, brake vans were still used to provide accommodation for a third crew member who was required by railway safety regulations. You may also see brake vans included in passenger trains, especially on small branch lines. In such cases, the brake van was simply acting as non-passenger utility stock to provide extra storage space on the train.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Hey, I am too! But it's spelled Dr. Hu and he's my accupuncturist.....

Reply to
The Old Man

i thought it was 931?

Reply to
someone

that story has holes in it no matter which way you look.

Reply to
someone

Have you found one yet of reasonable quality at reasonable cost?

I broke mine after 25 years of use. I was balancing it on my knee while reading the Bachmann catalogue in the khazi and it slipped off and smashed on the floor.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Mad-Modeller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nextline.com:

Will you guys quit needling each other... (groan)

RobG (The Aussie one)

Reply to
RobG

You obviously missed the point...

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Hmm, similar to the American caboose but not exactly alike. Thanks, that was educational.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Eh?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

i think it's melies. the articulated ones woth two drivers on trucks rhat turn independently for tight curves. compound engine?

Reply to
someone

wrote

Isn't that a Fairlie Double, like they use on the Ffestiniog ?

Reply to
Rik Shepherd

used by lots of rr's and countries. but it was invented in france bu, oddly enough, frenchman. i think his name was melies or close to that. i'm sure they were built in england, they were certainly built here. i think the giants were articulated, weren't they?like the big boys, etc.

Reply to
someone

Mallet? The designer was French therefore the name is pronounced 'Mallay'

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I think those run on rigid wheelbases but I don't know that for certain. In their case there are two separate boilers and steam cylinder sets.

Yes. Big Boy, Challenger, Yellowstone, and Allegheny are some of the different names of these in N. America.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

dat's zit, dat's zit. mallet was the guy. now do i have it right, one boiler, steam drives one engine, then is reused in the second? and some even had a third engine between one set of drivers? must have been a bitch to fix. too bad they didn't use a turbine for number 3. a loco named titanic?

Reply to
someone

ok, which do you think is better, big boy or challenger? i know they often worked together.

Reply to
someone

Andy

Yes on the steam arrangements. The locomotives with 3 sets of drivers were on the Erie RR and called Triplexes. The third set of drivers were under the tender. I do believe maintenance on the locos and the track were both contributing factors in their retirement. IIRC, they were mostly used in pusher service.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

They had different jobs to do. Challengers were the speedy ones and were usually found on high priority freights. Big Boys pulled high tonnage trains over the Rockies and operated at slower speeds. Comparing them is a bit like matching a Mosquito against a B-17.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller