Getting old!

were any of them cab forward?

Reply to
someone

tanks

Reply to
someone

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote: : : were any of them cab forward? : The SP cab forwards were all simple articulated engines, none of them were compound articulateds, including the early cab forwards based on the Consolidated (or was it Mikado?)

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Mad-Modeller wrote: : snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote: :> :> the second? and some even had a third engine between one set of drivers? :>

: : Yes on the steam arrangements. The locomotives with 3 sets of drivers : were on the Erie RR and called Triplexes. The third set of drivers were : under the tender. : I think the Texans (?) that SP used, with the very long ?-10-? arrangement had a third cylinder mounted between the frames, just for good measure.

This system was used in a earlier loco design as well, I think, that used the slide valve steam chest. Neither design was well liked by the maintenance crews, I expect.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

If you mean the triplexes, I'm pretty sure that's a no. I haven't any Erie steam references here so I can't confirm that but I can't recall of hearing of any. SP had the cab forwards because of the tunnels over Donner Pass.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

mikado sounds right. bill?

Reply to
someone

trying to work from down in the pit on super heavyweight stuff? i imagine you're right. it's a really great concept. that's why i made the joke about the turbine ala the titanic.

Reply to
someone

i don't think they were the only ones. i remeber a train book from high school that had a lot of cf''s. seems like there were more than 20 different. wish i could remember name and author. it was like that interurban book, just crammed with obscurities for the detail nut.

Reply to
someone

Consolidated - 2-8-0; Mikado - 2-8-2 My money's on the Consolidated. 2-8+8-2 sounds more feasible than a

2-8-2+2-8-2. The latter sounds more like a Beyer-Garratt.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

ok, you know a lot more about steam than i do.

Reply to
someone

Mad-Modeller wrote: : : Consolidated - 2-8-0; Mikado - 2-8-2 : My money's on the Consolidated. 2-8+8-2 sounds more feasible than a : 2-8-2+2-8-2. The latter sounds more like a Beyer-Garratt. : I believe they were Consolidated based as well, but not for the reason stated above. Rather:

1) I believe the Consolidation design was the work of Harriman et. al., which were the western railroad cartel that owned UP, SP, CP, etc., until broken up on monopply grounds.

2) The Consolidation design predated the Mike by around 15 years, I believe?

3) The trailing truck is academic, since you are removing the firebox, cab, etc. along with the trailing truck when creating the front engine.

In fact, given that the name of the last set of cab forward engines were "AC" 1 - 12, I am certain that stands for "Articulated Consolidation". However, the first cab forwards SP played with were, IIRC, "AM". Hmmmm, "Articulated Moguls"?

And, so google says. Cool!

However, I see I was wrong - the first cab forwards that SP played with were designated "MM", or Mallet Moguls, so, yes, they were compound engined with 23 and 38 inch cylinders. They were "simplified" and designeated "AM" in the 20's.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

thanks. i love at that finicky detail. gimmie a book with every make, model and mod of 1000 pages and i'm happy. love warplanes of the second world war and the third reich book.

Reply to
someone