Gluing Vinyl

Vinyl cement? ;-p

Al Superczynski

Not that I'm going to invest in vinyl kits but I was wondering what might work best to reattach an arm to an early '50s Marx figure? I have one of the 60mm Fort Apache figures who has shed his left arm and I'd like to restore the use of his arm for him.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Thanks, Al. I'll check into that.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Difficult to be sure just what the plastic is, as several soft plastics were in use. Early toys were often polyethylene, not vinyl. I don't know of any solvents that would affect it. You might test the solvent-based PVC cement on the bottom of the figure's base to see if it has any effect. The cyanoacrylate "Future Glue" product mentioned by another author might work or you might use a piece of sharp paper clip wire to provide a strong armature and fill the gap with epoxy cement (if the figure has become brittle with age, skip the armature and just use the glue). Gerald Owens

Reply to
Gerald Owens

refer to Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

section: "Glue - select correct adhesive for the material"

Adhesives - RC Airplanes Depron, EPP and other foam material - test results Kitsets - Polyethylene, PETE, Wood, Vinyl, Metal etc Plastic Bonding and Repairs This to That (Glue Advice = which to use for each application)***

regards Alan T. Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

A.T.

If it's real vinyl, home depot sells different kinds of vinyl cement for pvc pipes etc. it seems to be like tube styrene glue, part solvent with a lot of dissolved material. anyway, it works wonders on pvc pipe.