Box Art Artistic License

the new 1/144 Fletcher class destroyer art shows it under attack from two planes with a battleship firing off the port bow, followed closely by an escort carrier in battle with aircraft still with folded wings stowed right up to the bow.

Anyone have other less than accurate box art stories to share?

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

on 6/2/2009 2:18 PM (ET) Musicman59 wrote the following:

My first thought was Taffy 3 at the battle off Samar, but there were no US battleships there. The Japanese had , Japanese or American. There were Jap battleships and cruisers.

Reply to
willshak

on 6/2/2009 2:18 PM (ET) Musicman59 wrote the following:

My first thought was Taffy 3 at the battle off Samar, but there were no US battleships there. The Japanese had battleships and cruisers, but no aircraft. The only aircraft were US from the escort carriers..

Reply to
willshak

The new Trumpeter 1/72 Lightning F3. The kit decals have a scheme for one in air defence grey with 56 Sqn markings. A single aircraft was painted in this scheme, long after 56 had converted to Phantoms, to celebrate the anniversary of 56 getting Lightnings.

Despite the fact that only one aircraft was ever painted in this scheme, the Trumpeter box art shows two in formation.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

If that destroyer, carrier and battleship got any closer to each other it would probably be the biggest self inflicted loss in naval history.

Cheers,

Nigel

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4124 (20090602) __________

Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>

How about this one.

They look like they are on the offensive and no white flags anywhere to be seen.

Cheers,

Nigel

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4124 (20090602) __________

Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>

here's the best

someone

oops, had it in wrong thread

someone

If a WW2 bomber could be found on the Moon I see no reason why an X-2 shouldn't be able to fly over it? :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Some of those complaints were really splitting hairs, but most were amusing. A Ta 152 kit with an F4U Corsair on the box art - not amusing.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

and the gossemer condor.

Reply to
someone

Musicman59 wrote in news:f04c70d7-1467-437e-9387- snipped-for-privacy@z7g2000vbh.googlegroups.com:

The boxtop of the old Craftmaster release of Airfix's Bf 110C shows one escorting a group of He 177s. IIRC, the decals in the kit denoted an aircraft involved in photo recon for which there were no 'extra' parts provided.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

This one?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

what does "constant scale" mean as listed on the box art. Did Airfix at one time mix and match scales? :-)

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

It means as opposed to "box scale" where each new release is scaled to fit a similar sized box.

Not intentionally.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That's it.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

$29.95? on what planet? oops, must be planet stupid.... i think i built that in about 66. filler and masking, filler and masking. filler and a bounce off one of the neighbor bullies point skulls.

Reply to
someone

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote in news:Xy1Wl.101455$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-04.dc.easynews.com:

I think I built my first one in '64. Make that, only one. The next Dora was Lindberg's later followed by Hasegawa's.

Somewhere in my floundering around the internet I found an outfit that was charging outrageous prices for older kits like that. My reactions ranged from ROTFLMAO to "Are they insane?!" I guess it would be the buyers who would figure in that last category. I'm not talking about extremely rare kits, I'm talking about examples like the cited one above.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

they must cater to the more money than brains type customers. i've seen sites like that, but any moron with a shred of intelligence needs not to bother. are there really people that stupid? yeah, rhetorical question. would you like my nice shiny bridge? a mere 19 million dollars. toss in an extra million and we'll toss the toll booths and flunkys to run them. all you need to do is count the cash. we can sell you somone to do that, too. just sit on that nice metal tower in paris we can sell you, and oh, how the money rolls in.

Reply to
someone