Great decal paper

Using refilled cartridges voids any warranty on your machine; they are invariably more messy and my experience shows that unless you are printing a huge amount, the more reliable performance of third-party or factory ink cartridges far outweighs the advantage of low price.

My retailer does offer a special service, any cartridge returned to the store results in a free package of 500 sheets of paper, roughly the same cost savings as the refilled cartridge. After one refilled cartridge literally blew up in my printer and a series of problems in getting Epson cartridges refilled, I rely strictly on the factory version.

Reply to
Bill Zuk

Shrewd!! Sell the printer dirt cheap and make your killing on the cartridges!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Yep, that was my incentive to get the laser. Then when I wanted color print capability I saved up for a Canon S9000, a large format printer (13 x 19 inches, great for making photo backdrops). Ink was inexpensive. Then, just a couple of weeks after the warranty ran out, it went belly up :-(

Reply to
Don Stauffer

They call it the Polaroid business model.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

What I was referring to was the cost per print. I used to be a sales rep for computer related products and my understanding is that this Office jet is more cost effective on a per copy base and supposedly puts out a better print too.

Reply to
Stephan Brunet

warranty shmarranty. messy? no more than superglue. if you learn to do it right, ie. correct amount of ink, they last a long time and cut the cost by 70% or more. refurbs can cut the cost by 2/3 and i've never had a refurb cart fail, unlike oem. if you can build a half ass decent model, you can refill ink jet carts. honest.

the "walmart" business models. they sell my lex z1100 3 in 1 for 58 bucks, the carts are almost 80. but i refill....never buy retail and print like a 30's anarchist.

The time I tried refilling my color one, I didn't get the exact same volume of ink in each chamber(hard to do when you don't know how much is left of each color) and the print quality was terrible. I guessed it was because the pressure inside the resealed chambers wasn't equal so it didn't spray right but I don't know for sure. I never had trouble refilling the black, though.

Reply to
Sara L.

Warranty is important- I've had replacement printers supplied from the manufacturer due to the availability of a warranty and, in business, you don't shortcut areas such as warranty. This issue isn't as crucial as it once was in the heyday of paying $2000.00 for a printer. In today's computer world, a top printer in inkjet or laser versions. is now very affordable to the extent that the Lexmark my wife purchased, I seriously thought of it as a "throwaway" printer. (My premise was that at $29, use the printer, throw it away when the inks ran out and just buy a new one- a sort of "Bic" lighter approach. I realized later that the cartridges that were initially supplied must not have been filled to the same level as the replacement units.)

As to the availability of refill systems for modern computer printers; the refill systems which I used for many years for my home computer printers do not adequately cover the newer models of multi-cartridge machines nor do they provide the full range of inks. Refilling was fine when there were one or two cartridges and there were no special inks/dyes to consider.

In terms of price savings, reiterating my earlier comments, I purchase through a supplier that offers nearly the same price as a refilled or third-party cartridge through the use of discounting and store-based trade-in of the old cartridge for approximately a $10 package of paper.

The overriding reality of having a messy, leaking cartridge is not one I want to deal with. I would rather pay the higher price to guarantee reliability and quality when printing. I submit most of my work as digital images but when there is a need for a printout, I still require a high quality, stable hard copy. I prefer the safety and reliability of new cartridges based on the philosophy that "it's the cost of doing business" and that "good business recovers its costs."

Reply to
Bill Zuk

keep a set of eom original's and swap them for return.

google hundeds of sites with the right refills.

ok, whatever works for you.

never deal with mess or leaks. i rtfm and do fine.

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain (e) wrote

Ahh crap... looks like another trip to the stationers for me then... (c:

RobG

Reply to
RobG

wait! let me find the online guys i use. i think they're in georgia and their refill kits rock! really big bang for the buck and they have idiot proof instuctions. i bought 2 carts for a dead hp printer, (i didn't know it was dead) and even though the selas were off, they traded strait across for a huge three color refill kit for my lex. customer service is awesome.... ok, its ink-refills-ink.com. 3 20ml bottles and the tools for like $20 bucks or so. the ink is awesom and i've been using the shitty little "free" carts lexmark packed with the new printers for 10 months. i print cd labels by the ream...no, i don't own stock.

That's pretty amazing when the "red book" (IEC908) standard wasn't even published until June 1980. The players were first demonstrated to selected audio journalists *within* manufacturers facilities in 1981.

The first players went on sale to the public in late 1982 in the far east and early 1983 saw the worldwide launch.

Reply to
Mike