Happy Thanksgiving

Just wanted to take the time and wish a very happy Thanksgiving day to everyone.

Take care, and be happy, wherever you may be.

Reply to
Chris

in article 8yoxb.9865$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.tampabay.rr.com, Chris at snipped-for-privacy@cfl.rr.com wrote on 27/11/03 15:15:

Not to sound too stupid but what do you do Thanksgiving day for?

Reply to
Rory Manton

Traditionally it's a time set aside for giving thanks for all that we have, our food, livestock, wealth, family, friends, you know...

Of course, these days it's an excuse to eat a whole truckload of food and watch football, get drunk, piss off your family, friends, smash things, etc...

;-)

Reply to
Chris

In case you are interested in the "historical context", the traditional holiday was created by then President of the United States Abraham Lincoln during the American Civil War.

For more information on the origin see:

For how the holiday was standardized to the current modern date see:

John R Meloro

It is intended to signify the breaking of bread between colonial settlers and local native tribes, a time of union and peace for everyone.

Of course, this trust was later broken, but we all love an excuse for a big party.

;-)

Reply to
Chris

in article QKrxb.38639$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.news.adelphia.net, John R Meloro at snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote on 27/11/03 18:53:

Thank you , most informaive.

Reply to
Rory Manton

Actually, George Washington issued a Thanksgiving Proclamation as far back as November 26, 1789. It's a tradition that might be reasonably traced back to the first colonists, but over the hundreds of years, it has attained a formality as a national holiday specifically designated the fourth Thurdsay of November. It's easily my favorite holiday, since it has no religious veneer nor it is artificially located to generate three-day weekends. Four-day weekends are much better! Besides, at least in our family, it's a time for family. Unless you're stuck with the cooking and hate that, there's not much downside.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Turkey population control.

WmB

WmB

Likewise. Happy Thankgiving to all my fellow second hand glue huffers. ;-) At least, to all those that celebrate the holiday or feel a general need to give thanks.

WmB

WmB

So to whom do you give thanks? Just wondering. Rich

Reply to
Berneckir

My belief system being what it is, I thank God, as well as those whose efforts make my life worth living. I think on the larger scale, people are thanking each other for the positives in their lives. I know plenty of non-religious people who approach the holiday with a spirit of thansgiving.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Rory Manton wrote in news:BBEBDBBC.67E12% snipped-for-privacy@griffon65.freeserve.co.uk:

This year - for a wife who has infinitely improved my life, the son she brought with her into our family, the beautiful baby girl she gave me and the work she does every day to make it all work.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost