Harriers again

Hi, I have just looked over Monogram's AV-8B (Standard Daylight Attack)and found that the instrucions do not mention what color the intake ducts are to be painted. Should they be white? I want to make a grey/green early style AV-8B. Does anyone know? TIA Ingo

Reply to
Ingo

Yes, white is the correct colour. Why use a bright colour like white? It's because down at low level, it was found that the black shadows inside the intakes were one of the first detectable visual warnings of an approach. The white intake interiors reduced the shadow effect significantly. Similar in theory to the leading edge lighting rigs, and white anti-submarine schemes adopted during WWII.

HTH Chek

Reply to
Chek

Initially, they all left the factory as white, but the USMC has been repainting theirs to match the airframe exterior at Depot level - not exactly sure when the practice began. Need to look at some pics of the jet you are depicting to be sure.

Reply to
Rufus

It also makes it very easy to see if a foriegn object has entered the intakes, and where. Also - the gloss white paint in the intakes helps reduce distirtion of the airflow in the intake.

On a Harrier however, the intakes are big enought that the white interior makes the jet easier to see...which is why the USMC stopped painting them white...from what I've heard.

Reply to
Rufus

Ah - very interesting answer! That must be why I have seen models painted either way. Thank you! Ingo

*time is an enemy*
Reply to
Ingo Degenhardt