Hogging chains--Robt E Lee

I'm currently dinking around with the Lindberg (ex-Pyro) Robert E. Lee Mississippi steamboat kit, trying to add some detail so it doesn't look too toylike. Right now I'm carving out 112 window openings so I can add N-scale model railroad building windows, but that's not important right now ;^)

I notice that the boat has "hogging chains" that stretch from the forward upper deck, up over the tops of three kingposts, to the aft upper deck. The purpose, as I understand it, is to prevent the ends of the hull from sagging. Were these really chains, or something like iron rod with clevises on the ends? The kit calls for rigging thread, but I'd like to do better.

The boat also has similar bracing rigging which goes from the upper deck outboard to the edges of the main deck. The kit has some bogus turnbuckles (to be replaced with HO railroad turnbuckles), but again I wonder what the real boat had: wire cable? iron rods? chains?

Anybody out there know?

Steve H

Reply to
snh9728

hog chains were real chains. they sometimes included length of bar. some used turnbuckles to tension. they literally held the hull together. that was how they could have shallow draughts and still load a zillion tons of cotton. the boiler and engine on that kit are so wrong it's not funny, better to scratch one. there are many steamboat sites. google them up.

Don Stauffer

Time to raid your girlfriend's jewellry box......

A bit of gold chain can be found in a range of profiles and scales to suit a variety of jobs, and the gold chain is cheaper than what you can find in the model store!

By the time it's had a paint, and a couple of fittings glued on, she won't even know where it came from! Hope this helps, Peter

Reply to
Bushy