How do I apply glue to clear plastic (such as windows etc)?

How do I apply glue to clear plastic (such as windows etc)? When I apply the glue, even if I am careful to apply it to the edges, the glue usually ends up on the clear part , making some kind of ugly mark.

What is the best kind of glue to use? How should it be applied?

Ned

Reply to
Ned Merrill

"Ned Merrill" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Hi Ned, I'm from Holland and I use wood glue for my clear parts,like cockpit hoods.etc.You can thin it with water.It's clear and on hoods,they don't need any pressure to stand up,like gears etc.HTH.Han

Reply to
hannes

I recently did a number of tests on glue for clear parts. If you want to use a CA type super bonder product, I highly recommend Super Gold+ made by Bob Smith Industries. Here is a like to their website. If you go to the main page, you can plug in your zipcode and get a list of places that carry it.

unimodeler

i use the water based stuff through a skinny tip. any dribble i claen up with a moistened q tip. i'm shaky and new at it, and i can do clean windows, so you can too.

Han,

Thank you and I will give this a try.

Ned (Long Island, NY, USA)

Reply to
Ned Merrill

Hello Ned: If you pre-coat the clear part with future, you can super-glue it in and it will not fog over. When I do that, I drip out a little puddle of the super-thin super-glue onto a small strip of tin foil. Then I use a long straight pin (or sometimes a shaved down toothpick), put a tiny drop on the end of it, and touch it to the join line. Capillary action will flow it along the seam. Repeat at appropriate intervals along the seam until it's solidly in place.

If you use plastic cement, the best suggestion is to get one of those syringe-like glue applicators and pit a small amount of liquid glue in it. Get all the extra air out of the syringe and then carefully touch the tip of the needle to the join line and apply very slight pressure to the plunger and let the capillary action work as with the super-glue. In both cases, go s-l-o-w and carefully.

Hope this helps.

-- -- -- -- -- "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

My Home Page:

Bill Woodier

As Bill pointed out, it's best to have the part in position and apply the glue around it. In some instances you might need a handle. Cut yourself a strip of masking tape and apply it to your piece in a "loop." You'll then be able to move the part without smudging the glue. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper