Information on Gunze flat base

Gunze flat base Does anyone have information on just what this stuff is supposed to be used for? The owner of the shop I go to says that it is to be painted on bare plastic to make paint adhere better. Tried and got white chalky crap that rubbed off on my finger and couldn't paint over. My thouht is that it is for mixing in the gloss colours to reduce tham to flat but them if that is so why do they make a separate flat coat. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Thanx; ron

Reply to
ronh

Ron, The flat base is for mixing with gloss paints to flatten the sheen -- the more flat base you mix, the flatter the sheen. Mix too much and you get a chalky mess. You must experiment to find out the best combination to get the sheen you want.

A flat coat is a final coat. You could paint the model with gloss paints, add decals, then put a flat coat over them.

Each way has advantages and disadvantages depending on what you're modelling.

Bob

snipped-for-privacy@autobahn.mb.ca wrote:

Reply to
Bob Sasak

You tell that shop owner that he hasn't go a clue when it comes to knowing what he is selling. J/K!

It is suppose to be added to gloss paint to make it flat.

Reply to
Scott A. Bregi AKA The Model Hobbit

Just to be absolutely clear, specifically it's only to be added to acrylic coatings. Mixing in around 5 and 10% by volume should give a 'flat satin' to 'very flat' finish. If you add too much and it does 'bloom', a light spray over the affected area with a clear coat will fix it.

Chek Change' boos' to 'bos' in address to email directly

supposed to be

be painted

white

paint over. My