Iron Duke and Dreadnought models

Used to have the old Airfix "Iron Duke"(lost to many moves). Are there any kits out there of these two ships? Ones that are not huge money?

Reply to
Bob Grimes

The old Airfix HMS Iron Duke was a 1/600 scale kit but those are hard to fi= nd.=20

Zvezda from Russia (I think - may be ICM) is doing a number of 1/350 scale = WWI Battleships and has covered many of the German ones. They are now offer= ing a 1/350 scale HMS Dreadnought as is Trumpeter. The former is around $60= I believe; the Trumpeter one will be much higher. Also Academy is doing a =

1/350 HMS Warspite but in its post 1930s version.=20

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Thanks for the quick reply! Jeez, $60! Another question, are there any kits that show the old "cagemast" ships? What scale was Revell's "Arizona"? I always wanted to build a "cagemast" fleet.

Reply to
Bob Grimes

Most of the older battleships are only available in resin with etched brass= components or scratchbuilt using brass wire soldered together to make the = "cage" part of the masts. Not for the faint of heart or light of wallet.=20

The Revell USS Arizona was in 1/426 scale -- "Box Scale" for one of the lon= ger Revell boxes to bring it in on budget as a $1.98 kit when it first came= out. But for not much more you can get one from a Chinese company in eithe= r 1/350 (now the normal scale for many ship kits) or 1/200 but that is a BI= G model -- well over three feet long.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Not any more - it's just been re-issued. About 14 quid.

Cheers,

Moramarth

Reply to
Moramarth

Battleships and has covered many of the German ones. They are now offering a

1/350 scale HMS Dreadnought as is Trumpeter. The former is around $60 I believe; the Trumpeter one will be much higher. Also Academy is doing a 1/350 HMS Warspite but in its post 1930s version. Trumpeter has HMS Queen Elizabeth in her 1918 form in 1:700 scale for about 23 quid, Master Box have said they will be doing Dreadnought in the same scale. Japanese firms do a lot of their 1905 Tsushima Battle line in 1:700, while a Chinese firm are doing their early Ironclad fleet to match - sadly, I can't find a UK stockist for either.

Cheers

Moramarth

Reply to
Moramarth

Revell boxes to bring it in on budget as a $1.98 kit when it first came out. But for not much more you can get one from a Chinese company in either 1/350 (now the normal scale for many ship kits) or 1/200 but that is a BIG model -- well over three feet long. Hobby Boss do a dirt cheap Arizona in 1:700, but there are quality plastic kits of the same subject in that scale.

Cheers

Moramarth

Reply to
Moramarth

Revell boxes to bring it in on budget as a $1.98 kit when it first came out. But for not much more you can get one from a Chinese company in either 1/350 (now the normal scale for many ship kits) or 1/200 but that is a BIG model -- well over three feet long.

Just remembered - Revell also did a 1:720 scale "Arizona" with full-hull and waterline options. They also boxed it as Pennsylvania ( which it wasn't), and it may still be around. However, it was never a good kit and has been totally eclipsed by the Premium Edition of Dragon's "Arizona" in the similar 1:700 scale.

Cheers,

Moramarth

Reply to
Moramarth

Thanks for the two informative replies. I will check them out here in the States.

Reply to
Bob Grimes

Ouch! I am not that proficient to do that kind of detail work! Yeah, I remember when those Revell kits were also the same price. Those days will never come back!