It was *that* close!

I almost got rid of all my stuff. But I still have a bunch of basic modelling tools left, because I just can't bear to part with them. And so it happens that a retiring AF pal of mine knows a guy. This guy is also retiring. He's a big Wild Weasel fan, so my buddy wants to present him with some special retirement presents. So he calls me.

"Hey, you know anything about Wild Weasels?"

"Sure - well, a little."

"Can you do a couple of models in a big scale?"

"I suppose - how big?"

"As big as you can get a Vietnam-era and modern-era Wild Weasel plane in."

"OK."

I told him I'd get back to him on this. It isn't an IPMS show project

- an OOB + paint and decal. No AMS worries, just a good job in the right colors and markings.

My problem - I never had any WW reference materials, and I don't know where to start on that. I'd like to do a 1/32nd Thud and F4 project, but I'd need to have some sort of reference work in order to procure the correct models, paint and decals. Anyone know of a good book/website that can get me started in the wide, wild world of Wild Weasels?

TIA,

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

Try a Google on wild weasels. Lots of pics.

Reply to
Willshak
[snip]

Thanks, Bill.

Yeah, the web has some decent photos, but I need some additional info that only the printed word can deliver - like typical sortie loadout, specific aircraft models, etc.

I found my Googling to be wanting in that respect.

I was willing to add an additional tome to my warbird library, too. I may just have to find a particular aircraft, and e-mail the unit to see if there's some historic info that someone can give me.

Thanks again,

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

Go to eBay or Squadron.com and get "Wild Weasel: The SAM Suppression Story" by Larry Davis (about $10 give or take a couple bucks) or get "F-105 in Action." Both have good pictures.

If you want an accurate WW, go to Meteorprod.com and search for F-105. They have several correction sets (the Trumpeter kit is about a 75% solution) as well as the metal landing gear which you will definitely need for the 1/32 beast. There are also aftermarket decals out the wazoo from several manufacturers which are carried by many retailers including Squadron and Meteor Productions.

HTH

Ed Robbeloth

Reply to
robbelothe