Italeri Cormorant & German Revell EH101 HC.3 Landing Gear Question

I recently acquired the 1/72 Italeri Cormorant helicopter (Kit #

01226). I've heard there are a number of inaccuracies in this kit, particularly the main landing gear. The Cormorant kit includes the single-wheeled main landing gear struts while it should have double main wheels. I've heard a rumor that the German Revell EH101 Merline HC.3 (Kit # 04468) may actually be closer to the production Cormorant configuration and includes the double-wheeled main landing gear. Can anyone confirm this? I was thinking of buying the German Revell kit and would like some confirmation that I'm shelling out for the EH101 with the right features.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Reply to
Martin

I recently acquired the 1/72 Italeri Cormorant helicopter (Kit #

01226). I've heard there are a number of inaccuracies in this kit, particularly the main landing gear. The Cormorant kit includes the single-wheeled main landing gear struts while it should have double main wheels. I've heard a rumor that the German Revell EH101 Merline HC.3 (Kit # 04468) may actually be closer to the production Cormorant configuration and includes the double-wheeled main landing gear. Can anyone confirm this? I was thinking of buying the German Revell kit and would like some confirmation that I'm shelling out for the EH101 with the right features.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Reply to
Martin

Check out a EH 101 detail building report on

I believe the Revell kit has the double wheeled gear but I haven't made that kit. regards, Meindert

Reply to
Meindert

The Revell kit does have the double-wheeled main gear that production Cormorants have, but its probably a bit excessive to buy the kit just for that (particularly as there are Cormorant-specific parts in the Italeri kit, like the cabin sides with extra windows and the winch, even if that is inaccurate). Probably better to find a set of 4 wheels from the spares box, or even a cheaper kit, and make the other changes suggested on that website. I used a set of wheels from a Starfix Jolly Green Giant, about the only salvageable parts from that mess, but then put the kit aside. May be inspired to restart it now. Incidentally, I believe the Italeri kit is fairly accurate for the Civil Utility pre-production bird, PP9, for which decals are also provided in the kit.

Reply to
Tim Vincent