Japanese Hobby Shops/Contact

Looking for hobby shops or other sources for models in the Osaka area. I'll be there in May for my son Noel's wedding in Kurashiki.

I'm also looking for a Japanese trading partner. Any suggestions?

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

I think the best bet for hobby-related stuff is two-fold:

(i) Mainstream kits and paints can be gotten at 20% off retail price at Joshin (they call their hobby outlet Xcite) and other such large stores in Nipponbashi (the electric district of Osaka).

(ii) less well-known products require a dedicated hobby shop, and I think Hobbyland in Honmachi is my favourite. No discounts at these shops though.

Both of these locations are quite close to or on the main N-S subway line Midosuji-sen (Honmachi is on it), Nipponbashi is I think on the Sakaisuji-sen, the N-S line next to the Midosuji-sen (like two city blocks or so). You'll probably spend some time in Shinsaibashi, one stop on from Honmachi, for shopping and restaurants (damn I miss that place so much even though I'm now in Tokyo!) and it's really a quite comfortable 20 minute walk all the way from Yodoyabashi (where the Midosuji-sen meets the Keihan line to Kyoto---where of course you will also go!), down to Honmachi and Shinsaibashi. You can both save some money, and time actually, and learn to walk around Osaka, which with its E-W and N-S straight and wide roads is easy to navigate.

Here the Yahoo phonebook for model shops in Osaka:

Here an article on Hobbyland:

Here another Navigator for model shope in Osaka:

For trading partners, sorry, I don't have any helpful contacts at the moment, but if you email me with specific topics I might be able to help you out.

Cheers, Gernot

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

Thanks a lot Gernot.I just hope that I'll have the time while I'm there.I'll be looking for the more esoteric stuff like 1/72 resin aircraft and the like.Want to do some trading?Thanks again,TomOn Mar

10, 9:55=A0pm, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:>

" snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com" writes:> > Looking for hobby shops or other sources for models in the Osaka area.> > I'll be there in May for my son Noel's wedding in Kurashiki.> > I think the best bet for hobby-related stuff is two-fold:> > (i) Mainstream kits and paints can be gotten at 20% off retail price> =A0 =A0 at Joshin (they call their hobby outlet Xcite) and other such> =A0 =A0 large stores in Nipponbashi (the electric district of Osaka).> > (ii) less well-known products require a dedicated hobby shop, and I> =A0 =A0 =A0think Hobbyland in Honmachi is my favourite. No discounts at> =A0 =A0 =A0these shops though.> > Both of these locations are quite close to or on the main N- S subway> line Midosuji-sen (Honmachi is on it), Nipponbashi is I think on the> Sakaisuji-sen, the N-S line next to the Midosuji-sen (like two city> blocks or so). You'll probably spend some time in Shinsaibashi, one> stop on from Honmachi, for shopping and restaurants (damn I miss that> place so much even though I'm now in Tokyo!) and it's really a quite> comfortable 20 minute walk all the way from Yodoyabashi (where the> Midosuji-sen meets the Keihan line to Kyoto--- where of course you will> also go!), down to Honmachi and Shinsaibashi. You can both save some> money, and time actually, and learn to walk around Osaka, which with> its E-W and N-S straight and wide roads is easy to navigate.> > Here the Yahoo phonebook for model shops in Osaka:> >

=

the> moment, but if you email me with specific topics I might be able to> help you out.> > Cheers,> =A0 =A0Gernot> --> BOFH excuse #392:> > It's union rules. There's nothing we can do about it. Sorry.

Reply to
maiesm72

Hi Tom, Hobbyland has a lot of resin stuff. Check out their homepage at

where you can search for kits (Japanese only)

and a review here:

Geez Tom what crappy news reader do you use?!? your posts are always broken... see if you can disentagle the below :-)

>> Here another Navigator for model shope in Osaka:> >

>> For trading partners, sorry, I don't have any helpful contacts at

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

Reply to
Hub Plott III

Thanks :-) Sick as of this morning, went to a half-day (read 6 hours) wedding fair with the wife, our wedding ceremony is on 9 April so final arrangements close to being made (and final bancrupcy close too).

Cheers,

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

get well quick, mr g!

Reply to
someone

Reply to
Hub Plott III

congratualtions. hope you guys have 100 happy years together.

Reply to
someone

Thank you, much appreciated!

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

I'll add my congratulations to the rest. Hope the future Mrs. can pronounce 'Hassenpflug'. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Thank you Sir! Indeed, I just got my scooter insurance papers which were made out incorrectly to Mr. Flug Hassen (but in Japanese order).... I have also received air tickets for the same before here, and pronounciation is an ongoing hassle. I think I should change our name to "Yamato" since we shall be embarking on a one-way trip :-)

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug