Lacquer Thinner killed my Bader 150 =8-(

I thought I was doing a good thing. I removed the needle, nozzle, trigger and put the unit in a tub of Lacquer/thinner for a couple of days (Sunday morning now, put it in Thursday night)

This morning I wipe it down and assemble it, hook it up to my compressor and the damn thing won't blow air when the trigger is pressed. I unscrewed the bottom part (50-036 valve assembly) and I am able to press the tip down and it springs back. I think the L/T must have dissolved the O-ring inside or something. =8-0

Luckily the part is inter-changeable with the one on my Model 200 so I have one working brush between the 2 of them. Has anybody else found this has happened? I guess if I was to soak it again I should remove the valve assembly...I didn't know it was so fragile.

Anybody know of a good parts source for Badger in Canada?

Reply to
Jeff_from_Canada

The air valve does indeed have a rubber O-ring that will swell when soaked in lacquer thinner. I'm just conscious of it and remove it from the bottom of the air brush before going about my cleaning regime. Just disassemble it and let stand in the air for a few days and you should be OK. The rest of the airbrush is impervious to all thinners.

Scott

Reply to
The Model Hobbit

"Jeff_from_Canada" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Hi Jeff,

Yes I had the smae thing. I can't remember if it was with laquer thinner though.

I let the thinner evaporate from the o-ring and it worked like a charm again. So don't chuck it away (yet)!!!

HTH,

Dennis

Reply to
Mechanical Menace

Scott / Dennis

Thanks for the quick replies given it's Easter Sunday. I have tomorrow off and I wanted to do some modelling so I was in a bit of a panic. I won't chuck it for sure =8-) I went to webairbrushes.com and they have the parts but they seem to want a US shipping address. That will be my fall-back position if it doesn't spring back to life in the next couple of days. Thank heavens the Model 200 part is identical (even down to part number!)

Cheers!

Reply to
Jeff_from_Canada

Make sure that you disassemble the valve and remove the O-ring from the valve proper. That way it will revert back to it's original shape.

Reply to
The Model Hobbit

Don't know if this will be any help but Shesto who are in the UK have a comprehensive range of Badger spare parts

( I think this is the address but google for 'shesto' if it doesn't work)

HTH..........regards Simon

Reply to
SiG

There is no need to get a new one unless the original is torn or dissolved. Just let the O-ring dry out and it will be just fine.

Reply to
The Model Hobbit

Thanks again guys...this N/G is the best!

Finally found a use for that large paint jar that comes in the Model

150 boxed set....it's now sitting on top of the fireplace mantle holding the little bric-a-brac pieces including the O-ring as it airs out =8-)
Reply to
Jeff_from_Canada

"Jeff_from_Canada" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Jeff,

If getting badger parts is truly difficult, drop me a line, I can get them in a heartbeat, and shipping a single part can'tcost the world. (not even from The Netherlands.) If you think that is a good idea, we can work out a way of payment. Best would be via Paypal.

Just let me know.

Cheers,

Dennis

Reply to
Mechanical Menace

I've found the need to buy a bunch of replacement o-rings for my Badger

350 as I like lacquers. I've never had an o-ring bounce back to life once exposed to lacquer thinner. I can use it the next day - maybe - but after that, it's shot. Wherever you find a distributor, buy a dozen at a time as you'll not have one when you need it.

Frank Kranick

The Model Hobbit wrote:

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

do you have a harbor freight or a dollar store near? both often have boxes of different o rings for cheap. they make a size that fits.

On 16 Apr 2006 08:06:38 -0700, "Jeff_from_Canada" yelling "The Guns, The Guns, Thank God the Guns" stated;

Here is an excellent Canadian source for parts and extremely fast shipping with great service although you may have to wait (normally 10 days) if they don't have the part in stock.

Sarge® Member IPL, VAC, RCAA PGP Key 0x59DDC455

Reply to
Sarge®

Where do you live? In Toronto area, Curries Art Supplies, or most major Hobby shops such as Kieths in Willowdale.

Jeff_from_Canada wrote: .

Reply to
Andy Irving

I'm in Ottawa....I think Curries has a web store though don't they?

Cheers

Reply to
Jeff_from_Canada

On 16 Apr 2006 19:18:52 -0700, "Jeff_from_Canada" yelling "The Guns, The Guns, Thank God the Guns" stated;

Damn I'm an idiot. That's what I get for trying to reply while fighting with the girlfriend.

Sarge® Member IPL, VAC, RCAA PGP Key 0x59DDC455

Reply to
Sarge®

LOL! =8-)

I just reassembled the unit after it sat all night airing out and tried it in my Model 200 and I'm back in business. I ordered a couple spares from Curry's just in case though. The greathobbies web site looks like a nice place to try for my next mail-order adventure (I've been waiting since March 24th for Ken Merrick's Luftwaffe Colours Volume 2 ...yuck!)

Thanks again to everybody! Back to my Bf-109G 'build-along' with Floyd's DVD =8-)

Reply to
Jeff_from_Canada

Well, I haven't done that one. It never occured to me to soak the body of the airbrush.

But, cleaning up after spraying Future, I did remove a lot of chrome from some airbrush parts by soaking them in household ammonia for too long.....

I wouldn't be surprised if your o-ring returned to its original size after a week or so of sobriety.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

(Used to live in Hunt Club) Yes