lanc-manchester bash

anyone bashed a revelle b1 lanc to a manchester? are there

1/72 vultures? it looks doable, and the manchester is a really pretty bird. not that a lanc isn't also. the upper turret would be easy.

What you want to find is a copy of the old Sutcliffe/Contrail vacuform conversion for the Manchester kit...this has the wings, engine nacells and the necessary tail bits to do the job. I used this conversino kit about 20 years ago with some sucess.

I don't know if this is among the old Contrail kits that Sanger has reissued.

I seem to recall there is also a resin conversion set (MB Models perhaps?)...if you go to Hannet's website and search on Manchester it will tell you if it is still available.

Nat Richards

Reply to
Richa5011

Reply to
Ron

I think he means Hannant's.

Reply to
Frank May

i figured. sadly, they have nothing. what kits use vultures?

In article , e writes

I can't think of any other aircraft that used Vultures, there was a single engined type but can't remember what it was now.

There was an article a few years ago in Tamiya Model Magazine about the conversion (can't remember the scale 1:72 or maybe 1:48), but it did include plans to scratch build the Vultures and modify the wings.

Picking the right kit to start off with might make things easier. The Manchester had the row of windows along the fuselage, not all Lancaster kits include these, some just depict them as 'panel' lines.

The next decision is which tail configuration do you want to model:

1) Original twin fin (shorter tailplane, small fins) - prototype 2) Triple fin (shorter tailplane, small fins) - Mk.1 3) Later twin fin (longer tailplane, large fins) - MK.1A

Option 2 is probably the one which identifies the Manchester best.

Option 3 might be the most common (I'm lead to believe the MK.1A was the most numerous version) and may be the same tail as used on the Lanc?

Reply to
John Halliwell

triple fin. i like the small triangles, too.

Following up on my earlier post...Hannant's (you are correct that I bodged the spelling in my last post) does have the following listing:

AIM - Historic Wings HW04005 Avro Manchester 1/72

This is a vac kit with decals. I don't know the kit, so I can't speak to quality. The list price is 28+ pounds.

Nat

Reply to
Richa5011

Apart from the Manchester, the only production type was the Hawker Tornado, but only one machine flew before the production line was shut down--add to that two Tornado prototypes and one prototype of the Blackburn B.20 twin-engine flying boat, and that's about all that ever flew with a Vulture.

Maintrack has resin conversions of the Airfix Typhoon to build different variants of the Tornado (Vulture prototype, vulture production, Centaurus prototype). A bit expensive to cadge a couple of those just for the front ends.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

whn i searched, all i saw was decals...28 quid is a bit rich.

In article , Mark Schynert writes

Are the front ends the same shape as the Manchester Vulture nacelles?

Reply to
John Halliwell

I think you will find that the item in question is actually a kit with decals. I would suggest that you send Hannant's an e-mail and see if they can give you some details on the kit.

Nat

Reply to
Richa5011

Don't use the Revell Lancaster for this project. It has many problems including a too wide fuselage width. It is generally accepted that the Airfix Mk III is the best of the Lancaster kits and would make the best starting point. HTH

Reply to
bmccarron

And if you are making a York - don't make the mistake of just sticking Lancaster wings to a York fuselage as many have done in the past !!

The York and Lancaster have the same overall wingspan - so you have to remove a section from the Lanc's wing roots to cater for the wider York fuselage.

The propeller tips on the inner engines are much closer to the fuselage of the York than on the Lanc - I know, I photographed the same area on a Lanc and York at Duxford.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast Flankers Website -
Ken Duffey

with the shipping, it's out of my range.

thanks, but i got the hots for a triple tail manchester.

The manufacturer's webpage is at

mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aim72.co.uk for more details.

HTH

-- Luca Beato -

del plastimodellismo su

Luca Beato

FWIW That may take a while to get here, my e-mail server has been down all day, probably because of this new virus that some socially retarded juvenile delinquent has created and turned loose. We will get in touch eventually I guess, whenever they clean it out of the systems.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

FWIW That may take a while to get here, my e-mail server has been down all day, probably because of this new virus that some socially retarded juvenile delinquent has created and turned loose. We will get in touch eventually I guess, whenever they clean it out of the systems.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

no sweat, i will be here.