Looking for a model

Actually, a replica, not a model, as I have a Revell kit which I don';t want to have to build. I'm looking for a decent carved wood or resin model of a Gemini space capsule. I've found a couple through Google, but they're either too small for my taste or one looks like the capsule after re-entry, no part that connects it to the Titan, and not a complete nose section. I have a collection of rockets from the US Space Program and this is the only one I can[t find a decent replica of. Anyone know of such an item? Thanks.

Reply to
rfdjr1

Check the Anigran d website. They make a resin model of the Gemini. What scale are you looking for?

Reply to
The Old Man

Thanks for the info on that site. But that's a much smaller model than what I'd like. It's only about tghree inches long total. I have the entire collection from the Danbury Mint afrom a few years ago called Milestones in Space. The Mercury capsule with the escape tower is almost a foot long overall. I'd lke a Gemini capsule in approxrimately the same scale (I can't wrap my brain around these scale numbers). Over the past year I bought a number of hand carved rockets from the Philippines, Redstone-Mercury, Atlas-Mercury, Gemini-Titan, the Ares 1 and 5 and a full stcak space shuttle. Basically the entire US Manned Space Flight fleet. The only one I can't find for whatever reason is a decent Gemini. I don't know why the Danbury Mint didn't include it in their series. But anyway, that's what I'm looking for, a complete Gemini pushing around a foot long.

Reply to
rfdjr1

Okay then go to ePay and do a search for "Revell Gemini Capsule". They did one back in the day at 1:24 scale that might be closer to what you want.

Reply to
The Old Man

Guys from the Philippines will do anything on order, might take a while. Just about every USAF office in Asia had something they produced.

Reply to
frank

Yes they do. I bought a Stearman PT-17 from one of the companies last year. They had them stock, but a few years ago, I flew in one and actually got some stick time on it. I had several pictures of it and sent them to the builders who replicated it right down to the colors and tail number. It's a beautiful piece. And no extra charge for the customization. They really do build some beautiful models.

As for asking them to do a custom capsule, I asked earlier this year. Same thing, just send some good pictures. For some reason, it the billions of things on the internet, I can't find really decent, high resolution and detailed pictures of what I'd want them to build. It's like the Gemini program wasn't well documented in photographs.

Reply to
rfdjr1

there was a survey book on american spacecraft that had a good chapter on gemini in and out. don't remember the name but it might have been a history of u.s. spacecraft. if my library still has it, i'll see if i can copy the stuff you need. don't get too hot, it was 7-8 years ago.

Reply to
someone

hit the NASA site, look at their historical photographs. If that is not good enough, write the Space Museum in Huntington, Kansas, they have a Gemini on display. Also McDonnell, I know this stuff was documented. National Archives might be a start also or the Smithsonian, photos used to be about $5 - $10 from USG. Haven't ordered in a while.

Reply to
frank

frank wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@r27g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

"Gemini" is the title of SIM #2. This 34-page book provides a detailed accounting of how to build an accurate model of the Gemini spacecraft using the Revell kit. This book also reveals the differences between the mock-up on which the kit is based and the real flight vehicles. Based on material originally published in CRAZED PLASTIC, it has been extensively revised and features 72 figures including 13 photos (some never published before) and many scale drawings.

This volume was first published in 1990 and the fourth print run was in 1998. This batch is now sold out, and due to financial considerations, only photocopies are available at this time.

This ought to do it. $6 + $1.56 shipping. Can't beat it with a stick.

I think I have all of them. More detail than I'll ever use.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost