Make SF Models from Aspirin bottles etc.

Been there done that. We called it "Trashbashing" If anyone has the Spring 1982 Finescale Modeler,look at my article "Trashbashing A Starship"

Yes we were doing this in 1982.

Anyone remember Trashbashers Interplanetary? We had newsletters for a while and while we are in semi-retirement we still Trashbash. Remember: IN SPACE NO ONE WILL NOTICE YOUR SEAMS-FILLED OR NO .There is a lot of junk out there,Have Fun Building!

Reply to
haroldmcpherson

Yep, you can even make a Doctor Who Tardis out of an old orange juice carton. Here's one I made earlier:-

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Yes, next time you're getting a new printer or something like that, take apart the old one for the electronic components. I ripped apart my old cordless phone when in bit the dust; it has ton of microswitches and little lights in addition to the electronic busyness. It makes for great sci-fi doo dads!

--- Tontoni

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

86>

If you are willing to portray the Tardis from the time period before the chameleon circuit stopped working, you don't have to do anything at all to the orange juice carton! :-D

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I can't imagine having that much time on my hands. Envy abounds....... Oh well, back to work (:>

Reply to
Count DeMoney

CORRECTION:

It was the Spring 1983 issue of FineScale. Sorry 'bout that too many glue fumes I guess. Speaking of that you would not believe some of the adhesives i have used to make dissimilar plastics stay together. But or trashbashing started around 1980 or so.

Reply to
haroldmcpherson

So that's where i went wrong. You're supposed to take the o.j . OUT first. Oy. :>)

Reply to
haroldmcpherson

Taking apart my old printer is usually what leads to getting a new printer....

Yunno, everytime I reassemble my PC I have some parts left over. Pretty soon I'll have enough parts to build a new PC.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

if you need more parts, i have a roomfull.

Izzat all? I have them in the basement, in the garage and in one room upstairs. And they aren't even mine. :(

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

i scrapped a 60' trailer's worth last year. it's grown half way back.

There's an outfit that advertises cleaning out your 'junk'. I'm beginning to fantasise about calling them. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

But remember: *You* have to pay them to take your stuff away. If you keep it, it's free! :-) And there is always eBay. You'll be surprised what pople will buy. Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

oh great, now we can mix garbage with all the unbuilt kits, spare parts we have in storage.....

Craig

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

Reply to
crw59

Yes, I'm frequently surprised. I don't think of my models as being expertly built but some people go hog wild to buy them. Oh well, it makes up for how little they want to pay for the kits.

Now as to the junk in the garage, basement, etc. it belongs to the son. I wish he would put it on E-bay so it would leave. The car hasn't seen the inside of the garage in years.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Bill Hicks predicted that on 22 Jun 2006 08:22:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net would write:

Why not? I do. I have always called it "spare part model building". I have been doing it since around 1980 when I was in HS. In fact, I prefer to build a spare part model to a regular one. Don't get me wrong, I still like to build regular models, but I am curious as to what I will end up with. My wife builds rocket and RCM, we have a room in our house set up with 2 wood model benches we build and put opposite each other (back to back) with shelves on the walls.

My desk is scattered with my current model, started with a large mouthwash bottle, and various parts from computers, iv kits (from when my wife was in the hospital), when she changes her infusion set (she is a diabetic on an insulin pump) I scavenge the parts and tubing, I have on the wall one of those multi-small drawer cabinets mostly filled with small stuff (used primers, parts from her sets, small spark plugs etc.).

I have always enjoyed seeing what I can come up with. I feel it takes a bit more to figure out what goes good with what in order to try to come up with a decent looking model. But that's just me....;>

A lot of good junk for building, if you have a good imagination!

Have Fun All!!

Paul C. Heisner

Reply to
Paul & Victoria Heisner