Model master Acryl metallics

I just picked up bottles of the gun metal and the aluminum. Anybody
tried them out? Airbrushable? Traditional brush work? I doubt I'd use it
for NMF schemes, since I like SNJ, but I can see some other
possibilities in terms of mixing in other colors.
Mark Schynert
Reply to
Mark Schynert
I'm currently using them on a Monogram RF-101B.
They're formulated for airbrushing right out of the bottle.
Yes...but: I experimented on an ICM Yak-9K Engine/main gun assembly and it seems to brush on pretty decently over bare plastic -- though lighter shades tend to need multiple layers. For the RF-101, I first brush-painted a priming layer of square-bottle Flat Black, then tried brushing on some MM Titanium. Turns out that the MM is *VERY* "hot" stuff! Nearly took a portion of the Flat Black clean off! (Luckily, the [slightly] damaged portion will be hidden by the afterburner pipes.) But after spraying two layers on (buffing after each layer, of course), it looks a lot like actual titanium and; after a week to cure; seems resistant to fingerprints and such. The best thing is that it can be cleaned up with regular paint thinner.
I'll most likely use it to color/enhance individual panel lines after using regular enamel Aluminum and/or Silver and/or Steel as a base-coat, but; no; I think it would be too expensive to use to paint whole airframes.
Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall
I notice the word Acryl in the subject line. But later messages seem to be talking about the lacquer metalizers. I was hoping to read about Acryl "New Formula" metallics (colored or metal shades) since the only metallic paints I've liked so far are either oil or lacquer. I'd like to quit using oil enamels.
David Kennesaw, GA
Reply to
jdb
It's tricky putting it on over paint or trying to put anything over it. If we're talking about MM Metalizers, it can dissolve enamel undercoats since it is lacquer, but there are ways to do it without that happening. For coating over metalizers, I tried Future, metalizer sealer, MM Acryl clear green, and all of those just flake right off with a toothpick and very little effort.
David Kennesaw, GA
Reply to
jdb
Isn't MM Acryl water based?
Reply to
Al Superczynski
i brush the gunmetal and buff with a q tip. looks good.
Sorry, I didn't notice the "A"-word until just now. I thought he was asking about the "Metalizer" line...
Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall
Thanks for the heads-up on the Metalizer. I've had problems with it before, eating into the enamel primer and lifting it. For one that I'm working on now, I've given it a pre-coat of lacquer ClearCoat flat to see if that helps any. The ClearCoat, although lacquer, doesn't seem to bite into enamel quite as deep.
The Old Timer
The stuff I'm talking about looks like a new product, and says on the bottle 'cleans up with water.' FWIW, I have never used the Metalizer stuff, and wouldn't, for all the trouble it appears to offer. Both SNJ and Alclad 2 seem to be superior products.
Mark Schynert
Reply to
Mark Schynert