MRC/Atomic City Mercury Capsule

This kit kicks ass! Beautiful all the way around. I got my two today from Megahobby and am mighty impressed. I took a few photos of the full size one they had at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago in 1997 and I wish I took more. Is there a good online source of interior photos? Which version to build? I think the Aurora 7 logo looks the best (Scott Carpenter) but Gordo's trip being the longest seems to have some appeal to me.

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

I always liked Schirra's "Sigma 7" logo. Simple, but elegant in that simplicity. And his reasons for picking that nickname (read Tom Wolfe's "The Right Stuff").

Reply to
Greg Heilers

" Is there a good online source of interior

John

Try

Click on the pictures to access each gallery. Be careful though - read the titles some of the pictures are mockups or trainers - not the right colors in all cases.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Well, if it's a simple coin toss for you, Cooper's Faith-7 would be a tad more accurate build out of the box. The MRC kit's instrument panel does not have a periscope viewing port which makes it more accurate for Gordo's ride.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Carroll

Agreed, the MRC/Atomic City kit is magnificent! Reviewing the sprues, a serious case of Advanced Modeler's Syndrome has set in. I'd kinda like to build mine to represent the Deke Slayton flight that never took place. Do a few web searches, and you'll probably come across the speculative "Delta 7" logo.

If I may be permitted to make a blatantly commercial plea with regard to this kit, check out my DVD "Little Joe: Mercury's First Steps." This DVD contains over two hours of Mercury content, and the footage of the Little Joe 5B recovery should be especially valuable to anyone building the Atomic City kit:

James ___________________________ James Duffy snipped-for-privacy@mac.com

James Duffy

When Gus Grissoms Liberty Bell 7 came to Kansas city last year, I noted that there was a chest mount reserve parachute near the hatch on the right side of the seat. I have never seen a chute before. Anbody know the details here? Hate to have to get that things on and go over the side and 3000 miles an hour! I can only assume it was for a faulty chute on reentry. Hugh Mills

Reply to
HMills16

The first "Solar Sail" perhaps? 8-)

Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre

I noticed on the flight patches on sale in the Cosmosphere gift store that the numbering sequence for the Mercury flightpatches skipped one and ended with 7... I thought it was odd.

Reply to
tomhiett

Tom:

Could the skipped mission patch been Mercury 5 (MA-5)?

Most likely so, since that was a chimp flight.....a 2 orbit mission flown by "Enos". His flight was sandwiched betwixt Gus Grissom's Mercury 4 and John Glenn's Mercury 6.

There were six manned Mercury flights. Here are the patches:

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Carroll