Atomic City Mercury Capsule

I stumbled upon the Atomic City Mercury Capsule at my local Hobby Lobby last week. Anybody pick this up? How is it? It's going for $60 or $70 ($67 I think.) With an internet coupon or when they have a sale I would like to pick one up. What's the word on this thing?

Thanks!

Reply to
Von Fourche

I forgot - the capsule does not come with a Redstone rocket. Does Atomic City also make a rocket for this thing?

Reply to
Von Fourche

I've just finished one of these. Really nice when finished, some fit issues and the instructions could be clearer on some points, but these are discussed on the Atomic City Models website.

For the price you get a darn impressive model. A Redstone, well you'd need a multi-storey room to display it - what you get in the kit is about 26 inches tall...

Cheers,

Mark

Reply to
Mark Bivens

I agree, the Atomic City Model of the Mercury is very nice and detailed.

You can see some pictures of a finished Mercury capsule here.

Actually the redstone, capsule and launch stand at 1:12 scale is only 7

1/2' tall. A 1:12 Redstone model isn't available at the moment but you will be able to buy a completed one within the next couple of months from Launchpad Spacecraft.
Reply to
Kevin Earls

MRC/Academy apparently liked it so much they bought the marketing rights (and the molds?) from Atomic City for it so it will soon be in wider release.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

What color of blue did you paint the capsule? If I remember, the box shows the capsule as black.

Reply to
Von Fourche

Black in the end. Tried a couple of mist coats of blue but they were either to little to make any difference or too blue. Then again, the SR-71 is supposed to be very very dark blue, but having seen the one at Duxford there isn't enough blue to be visible, but your mileage may vary :-)

In the end I used Tamiya Matt Black XF-1 then buffed it with wire wool. Looks ok

Mark

Reply to
Mark Bivens