Napier Sabre Aero Engine

Hi folks,
Does anyone out there have access to or know where I might find
drawings of the Napier Sabre engine as used inthe Hawker Typhoon/
Tempest aircraft of family. I have pleanty of pictures but no drawings
as I wish to scratchbuild, well to be honest attempt to scratchbuild
one for a project I am going to be working on. If you know where I
might find some on the net please can you leave a link for me or if
you have such drawings and are willing to share please email them to
me. Alternatively I would also be interested in any links to sites
where I might obtain 1/72 or 1/48 resin engines. (I am in the UK and
have tried the usual sources, Hannents etc without success)
Thanks in advance.
Doug.
Reply to
Doug
Here's a couple of links which might be of some help, although these both show cutaways, not dimensioned drawings:
(mind the wrap on that second one if copy-and-pasting!)
A Canadian cottage-industry company called Engines and Things used to make 1/48 and 1/72 resin Napier Sabres. I'd recommend the 1/48 as being more detailed. The old but quite decent Revell 1/32 Hawker Typhoon kit included a good (although simplified) Sabre engine, too.
A search-engine, using "Napier Sabre" and "Drawing" as key words, may turn up something useful...
John
Reply to
jthmpson
IIRC there is one in the Science Museum in Kensington along with just about one each of all of the early jet engines. I realize UK museums want a fortune for photos or drawings but you could check with them to see if they have anything.
Cookie Sewell
Reply to
AMPSOne
Thanks John and Cookie, very hepful will certainly try the museum, also found some data in the Janes aircrfat of world war 2 book as it has a section on aero engines at the back, but still no drawings!!
Once again thanks to you both.
Doug.
Reply to
Doug
A set of plans for the Hawker Tempest appeared in Scale Models in February 1973. They were drawn by AL Bentley and included views of the airframe without the outer skin. This included five views of the Sabre engine. I'm sure that these plans have apeared more recently in Scale Aviation Modeller but I can't find the issue in question. More to the point, AL Bentley's plans are available on line. Try Googling for him by name. It should get you on your way.
Best of luck,
Gordon McLaughlin
Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin