OT another German question

Yesterday i bought a BBC 4 tape and book on how to leanr German, my take deck is so old i think i will speak with a hisssssssssssssssssssssssss LOL

Anyway when i go again in Sept. I thought i would like to take my granddad, hes 80 in Oct and wil early AZ although hes fit and strong so its just his short term memory although he can look after himself.

Its his fathers medals i have from WW1 and he fought in the Somme. I would like to take my granddad there while im in Germany. I will be in Dresden then.

Just a couple of questions.........

I spoke to my chick about it but she doesnt know much about flights etc to Belgium. esp from the East Germany side

I dont he knows the details himself, but is there any records in the UK where i can find where my G-Gdads regiment was and a bit of info.

he was adopted and was a true cockney so i cant find much from the family tree, its more like a little branch.

Do German people still generally dislike English people in there own country? it was over 20 years since i was last there.

Of course i will need addresses of local model shops before i leave, i want to visit the war museum in Berlin IIRC

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Some pointers;

If the surviving members of the Scharnhorst are anything to go by (get a hold of the tv documentary about the sinking of HMS Glorious) then I think it shows that many soldiers of both sides have settled their bets long ago and many of the groups on both sides meet up to sing and drink.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

"Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales" wrote in message news:0WUwe.17754$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Someone who was VERY close to me was in Munich for the Oktoberfest, when a German asked him if he had ever been there before. He said yes, but the last time was at 24,000 feet. No one had no problem with that, they just kept drinking :)

And this was a man with 72 missions over europe in B 17's, and

17 in the Pacific, who was also shot down at the battle of Midway..... One of the greatest people I have ever known ! (General William S. Rader, google the net, very interesting !)

Allan

Reply to
AM

thanks

I was thinking would Germans like me!!!!!!!!!! nah he doesnt have a enemy in the world, never has, he ws a marine but got sent back home before anything kicked off to be a bevin boy.

Anett did tell me, not the grandparents i met not long ago, but her others, that her granddad still hates the English and wasnt keen her seeing me at all.

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

kewl Anetts grandparents came over a while ago with her parents and the granddad spoke pretty good English has he had been here and Scotland in the

60's buying cars.. that night was funny in the pub, everyone drinking huge amount, her granddad knocking guiness back like there was no tomorrow and my granddad sipping half a lager.........lasted about a hour, hes never been a drinker, always preferd a nice cup of tea!!
Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

[snipped]

One thing! Don't do the John Cleese Basil Fawlty sketch for a joke, although they may laugh a bit if the editor of the German "Punch" has anything to go by when interviewed on tv late night.

"In the Gulf War you noticed us by what you might have thought as our absence. In fact, when the joint forces invaded we stayed at the back very quiet because last time we invaded a country in WWII it upset everybody!"

Of course they'll like you so long as you charm the people (especially the women), whichever country. It worked for me in Russia!

It's all down to the individual of course. When my parents had German captured workers working on our land, one of the Germans named Reinholt said after hearing my father being the complete bastard to my mother he usually was "that Mr. Brooks, he's a very bad man!"

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Anett saw that while she was here, thought it was funny, although i had mentioned it about a 100 times before hand

Well Anett knew i was for the war, and she was against it, infact she went on peace marches back home before i met her, she got me and we watched Bowling for Columbine before she left for home and i couldnt see what was wrong with making and selling weapons. She didnt like that. I said nothing wrong with selling weapons to your neighbour as long as you have twice as many and twice as powerfull.

ouch!

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

I had an old German couple object to me speaking English in a resteraunt in Lubeck in northern Germany once. They were pointing out that "we" had destroyed the place in WW2. After I pointed out that "they" started it they got quite heated and moved tables...

Once, a couple of years ago in a bar, this young-ish chap told me that Germany and Europe's "problems" with immigrants were really caused by the Jews causing trouble in the middle East...we went to another bar (which incidentally had a barman who wore a t-shirt with an SS logo and the words "German Football Hooligan" on it. When I asked him why he told me it was so that the English footbal hooligans would understand. He didn't think many English football hooligans would speak German you see...)

...I have been working in Germany (well Bavaria) for about three years and I have always found the Bavarians to be hospitable and sociable (oh, boy are they sociable) people (unless you're Turkish). Can't speak for the former East Germany.

Graeme Cosgrove