OT: Another terrific speech by Al Gore

Nuff said.
WmB

Global warming?..I'm all in favor of it. It's too damn cold in to many places on this planet...bring it on!
--
- Rufus

Vess Irvine wrote:
Global warming is real. Its here to stay. Right now we ( the inhabitants of this planet) are just going through the minor annoyances of its infancy. Our grandchildern will be a little more distrubed by its growth, but not much. Their grandchildren are going to get it right in the teeth and theres not a f**king thing anybody can do about it, either now or then. Enjoy Mike IPMS

Yeah, sure it is. Meanwhile, back here in reality land, weather forecasters can't even make accurate predictions a week ahead of time yet we're supposed to believe that scientists can predict temperature changes of a few degrees or less tens, hundreds, or even thousands of years in the future. Based on computer 'modeling'? Ever hear of the GIGO principle?
Wake me up when global warming predictions are based on something other than junk science.....

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.

Certainly. That would be the less profane cousin to the SISO principle.
WmB

1/3/82.
Forcasters predicted scattered showers for the SF Bay Area for 1/4.
We ended up with the heaviest rainfall ever recorded in the U.S. 32 inches in 24 hours liquified the decomposed granit hillsides, plunging scores of homes down the slopes and, in some cases, into Tomales Bay. There was only a single death. Inverness, where I lived then, was cut off for quite awhile with chest deep mud blocking the only road into and out of town.
Some "scattered showers"!
Tom

and some time after that there will be an ice age. in between there will be volcanoes, floods, tsunamis, and random meteor strikes. piss all we can do about that, but as heinlein said, earth is too frafile a basket for humanity to keep all it's eggs in. did bush say a lousy billion for mars? piker. i would spend that year on just research. -a billion here and a billion there, next thing you know you're talking real money. -evrett dirksen
Mike Keown wrote:

So there WILL be hell on earth someday...
--
- Rufus

What do you mean, "someday?"
Andy
Andyroo111 wrote:

Good point...
--
- Rufus

Rufus wrote:

You've been in the desert too long. If you were here during the summer you'd find out how much fun 100F at 100% humidity is. Personally I like the cold weather.
Bill Banaszak, MFE

in boston when it's 90f with 90 percent humidity the locals start commiting suicide. i just dig the rays. no, they're the crazy ones. rufus is right.
Global warming is a verified phenomenon. Arctic Ice has been reduced by 14 percent over the past 40 years or so-- and that can't happen with only nature at work. The problem is that all the fresh water entering the oceans interferes with the oceanic conveyor, a very large system of currents that run along the bottom of the ocean in a continuous circuit from the arctic to around Australia and back. This conveyor brings warm bottom water to the North Atlantic, which keeps the temperature warmer than it would be without it. The chief beneficiary of this is Scandinavia and Great Britian. If enough fresh water is added to the sea water, the salinity decreases, which makes the colder surface water 'lighter' and it won't sink to the bottom the way it does now, and at depth it becomes colder and gravity and the earth's rotation pull it along to create this current.
Bottom line is, if the current stops, we get another Ice Age. Its happened twice before, after huge natural catastrophes and its taken hundreds of years for the conveyor current to start up again.
Global warming is a catch-phrase that does not put the problem in proper context. Politicians put expediency over understanding-- or caution. If the conveyor konks out, none of us will know it. But because it takes so long for it to happen without the aid of a natural catastrophe, when it becomes evident that it is happening, it will be too late. No explosions, no big dust clouds covering the sun to forwarn, just a huge plankton cloud in the equatorial waters to rot, spewing toxins into the air (because the water is not being 'conveyed' to the poles, thus getting warmer and warmer...) and a ever increasing block of ice growing from the polar regions, lowering existing sea level by about 100 feet over 20 years. And somewhere in all that, someone said "DOH!!"
Most of the world's population has to rely on a very tiny number of people to do the right things. Part of those people would rather find the explaination that fits their agenda than really listen to what others more learned have to say. That's politics. When surgeons remove a tumor, they always take the surrounding tissue, as a cautionary measure. That's science. The result of the surgeon's diligence may leave a bigger scar, but that's better than having the cancer return.
The politics of conservative and liberal views are a curse to modern society. But, its the best we've got. Both are convinced the other will lead the world to ruin and we, the people who put them in power in the first place, can't stop watching football, baseball, cable movies, soap operas, The Simpsons or the Home Shopping Network long enough to educate ourselves as to exactly what is going on. America is supposed to be a leader in all things, at least that's what conservative voices say. But if anyone other than a conservative starts spewing facts (and I'm not talking about Gore here), especially if they are from another country, it is treated as if the speaker was a reactionary with an agenda-- and thus not worth listening to.
Yes, we are having a nice, really cold winter. I'm in California and not having as rough a time as those in the midwest or on the East Coast. If you are reading this, you have access to the internet. I suggest you take the time to do some research on Global Warming and Oceanic Conveyor Belt. I'd also suggest keeping an eye open for an episode of NOVA, about the conveyor belt. Yes, its on PBS, but its science, not liberal politics.
And just to put the record straight, because there are going to be those who will classify me otherwise-- I'm no liberal. Wouldn't piss on Gore if he was on fire. I applaud Bush's space intentions, but doubt much will happen. Me a conservative? No. But that shouldn't matter when truth is the subject.
Scott snipped-for-privacy@AOL.com
Wow, never have I seen such strait party line crap spewed on a newsgroup before, every point has been refuted so many times im not even going to do a point by point rebut. Did you lift this right off the sierra club's website or what? Wake up America the rest of the world is laughing at you.
Bill Banaszak wrote:

Grew up there - know all about it. That's why I left....102F at 2% humidity is almost like air conditioning. Though now the humidity rides at more like 30% year round here...but 112-116F and 30% is still nicer than there.
Also spent a year living on the Gulf coast...August there makes July in Chicago look like air conditioning...gimme the desert.
--
- Rufus

I grew up in Chicago and spent four years in Biloxi Ms in the early 80s. I have to agree that August in Biloxi with 99 degrees and 99 % humidity is something to behold!
"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey
On 18 Jan 2004 00:31:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Bill Woodier) wrote:

Not to mention the mosquitos! My dad was stationed at Keesler AFB when I was a kid and those suckers constantly threatened to carry me off.....

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.
rec.MODELS.scale, I'm sure most people read this group for model related issues. I wish people would keep politics and other inflammatory issues to themselves or the appropriate news group.

the