OT: Another terrific speech by Al Gore

and some time after that there will be an ice age. in between there will be volcanoes, floods, tsunamis, and random meteor strikes. piss all we can do about that, but as heinlein said, earth is too frafile a basket for humanity to keep all it's eggs in. did bush say a lousy billion for mars? piker. i would spend that year on just research.

-a billion here and a billion there, next thing you know you're talking real money.

-evrett dirksen

You've been in the desert too long. If you were here during the summer you'd find out how much fun 100F at 100% humidity is. Personally I like the cold weather.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Certainly. That would be the less profane cousin to the SISO principle.

WmB

WmB

1/3/82.

Forcasters predicted scattered showers for the SF Bay Area for 1/4.

We ended up with the heaviest rainfall ever recorded in the U.S. 32 inches in

24 hours liquified the decomposed granit hillsides, plunging scores of homes down the slopes and, in some cases, into Tomales Bay. There was only a single death. Inverness, where I lived then, was cut off for quite awhile with chest deep mud blocking the only road into and out of town.

Some "scattered showers"!

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

So there WILL be hell on earth someday...

Reply to
Rufus

in boston when it's 90f with 90 percent humidity the locals start commiting suicide. i just dig the rays. no, they're the crazy ones. rufus is right.

Hey Ron:

Thanks for reading. Always a pleasure to see your reply ...... /V

Reply to
Vess Irvine

Global warming is a verified phenomenon. Arctic Ice has been reduced by 14 percent over the past 40 years or so-- and that can't happen with only nature at work. The problem is that all the fresh water entering the oceans interferes with the oceanic conveyor, a very large system of currents that run along the bottom of the ocean in a continuous circuit from the arctic to around Australia and back. This conveyor brings warm bottom water to the North Atlantic, which keeps the temperature warmer than it would be without it. The chief beneficiary of this is Scandinavia and Great Britian. If enough fresh water is added to the sea water, the salinity decreases, which makes the colder surface water 'lighter' and it won't sink to the bottom the way it does now, and at depth it becomes colder and gravity and the earth's rotation pull it along to create this current.

Bottom line is, if the current stops, we get another Ice Age. Its happened twice before, after huge natural catastrophes and its taken hundreds of years for the conveyor current to start up again.

Global warming is a catch-phrase that does not put the problem in proper context. Politicians put expediency over understanding-- or caution. If the conveyor konks out, none of us will know it. But because it takes so long for it to happen without the aid of a natural catastrophe, when it becomes evident that it is happening, it will be too late. No explosions, no big dust clouds covering the sun to forwarn, just a huge plankton cloud in the equatorial waters to rot, spewing toxins into the air (because the water is not being 'conveyed' to the poles, thus getting warmer and warmer...) and a ever increasing block of ice growing from the polar regions, lowering existing sea level by about 100 feet over 20 years. And somewhere in all that, someone said "DOH!!"

Most of the world's population has to rely on a very tiny number of people to do the right things. Part of those people would rather find the explaination that fits their agenda than really listen to what others more learned have to say. That's politics. When surgeons remove a tumor, they always take the surrounding tissue, as a cautionary measure. That's science. The result of the surgeon's diligence may leave a bigger scar, but that's better than having the cancer return.

The politics of conservative and liberal views are a curse to modern society. But, its the best we've got. Both are convinced the other will lead the world to ruin and we, the people who put them in power in the first place, can't stop watching football, baseball, cable movies, soap operas, The Simpsons or the Home Shopping Network long enough to educate ourselves as to exactly what is going on. America is supposed to be a leader in all things, at least that's what conservative voices say. But if anyone other than a conservative starts spewing facts (and I'm not talking about Gore here), especially if they are from another country, it is treated as if the speaker was a reactionary with an agenda-- and thus not worth listening to.

Yes, we are having a nice, really cold winter. I'm in California and not having as rough a time as those in the midwest or on the East Coast. If you are reading this, you have access to the internet. I suggest you take the time to do some research on Global Warming and Oceanic Conveyor Belt. I'd also suggest keeping an eye open for an episode of NOVA, about the conveyor belt. Yes, its on PBS, but its science, not liberal politics.

And just to put the record straight, because there are going to be those who will classify me otherwise-- I'm no liberal. Wouldn't piss on Gore if he was on fire. I applaud Bush's space intentions, but doubt much will happen. Me a conservative? No. But that shouldn't matter when truth is the subject.

Scott snipped-for-privacy@AOL.com

Reply to
CaptCBoard

rec.MODELS.scale, I'm sure most people read this group for model related issues. I wish people would keep politics and other inflammatory issues to themselves or the appropriate news group.

Reply to
blackbird

Nah, don't get rid of them--harness them to a machine that generates electricity based upon their intenstinal peristalsis. Betcha Cheney and Karl Rove between them could create enough electricity to power a car. Keep 'em in the trunk--no additional pollution beyond what they would put out anyway!

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

What do you mean, "someday?"

Andy

Reply to
Andyroo111

Wow, never have I seen such strait party line crap spewed on a newsgroup before, every point has been refuted so many times im not even going to do a point by point rebut. Did you lift this right off the sierra club's website or what? Wake up America the rest of the world is laughing at you.

Reply to
rac

"ilPoeta" wrote in news:P5QNb.261625$ snipped-for-privacy@twister2.libero.it:

American policy is not dictated by junk science developed by those jealous of, or angry about America's sucesses. You want to live like a caveman to "save the planet" be my guest. Just don't expect me or anyone else to share your psychotic delusions.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

if the scientists really wanted to find a cure for global warming, then they just tell the general public that its actually global freezing, and i guarantee within 5 years it will be solved.

Sean Neilan Peace leads to strength. Strength leads to war. War leads to weakness. Weakness leads to peace.

Imagine what we will learn when people are not afraid to ask whatever they wish?- JH

If sense is so common, why do so few people have it?

Reply to
IncubusNitemare

Grew up there - know all about it. That's why I left....102F at 2% humidity is almost like air conditioning. Though now the humidity rides at more like 30% year round here...but 112-116F and 30% is still nicer than there.

Also spent a year living on the Gulf coast...August there makes July in Chicago look like air conditioning...gimme the desert.

Reply to
Rufus

Good point...

Reply to
Rufus

I grew up in Chicago and spent four years in Biloxi Ms in the early 80s. I have to agree that August in Biloxi with 99 degrees and 99 % humidity is something to behold!

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Not to mention the mosquitos! My dad was stationed at Keesler AFB when I was a kid and those suckers constantly threatened to carry me off.....

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Sorry for thinking in a different way ... I don't mind about Gore or other american politics ... I'm not american. But I'm worried about earth future, and I think world is not doing what could be done for avoid climate problems. In 1600 Galileo was treated like a crazy and convicted of heresy by Roman Catholic Church when he said that the earth revolves around the sun, just because he was contrasting the system and the power based upon it. So, I don't expect nothing from you, especially to share something, but I'm not psychotic.

bye

fab

PS.: Sorry for posting very very OT. I will not post this thread anymore...

Reply to
ilPoeta