OT: Anyone know this movie?

Greetings all,

I know this is off topic but I know too someone here will know the answer.

Several years ago I watched a movie, I'm pretty sure it was a WWII flick, newer made. In it I seem to remember the soldiers making some sort of truce or deal with "the other side" but at the end they accidentally end up shooting each other.

Can anyone remember and pass on the title? Its driving me nuts!

Thanks alot, Tom

Reply to
tomservo

I think I know the film but not the title? There was group of American and Japanese soldiers on a small island. They agreed to co-operate in order to survive but when the main battle group approached the island they took up firing positions again. The Japs were hopelessly outgunned and none survived.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Not sure about the Japanese movie that kim mentioned but there's one with the German army. A Midnight Clear. The US recon platoon and German soldiers have Christmas together. Great movie...not so much for accuracy or anything like that...just fun to watch. Gary Sinise is in it. And a fantastic very non-standard rendition of the main song over the ending credits by Sam Phillips.

TF

Reply to
TF

Hell in the Pacific?

Curt

Reply to
Curt

Actually, I remember reading a story about a squad of American soldiers in the northern France or Belgium regions at Christmas time

1944 (maybe even Christmas eve) that happened on a small farmhouse. The woman of the house (just her and her son, her husband was dead) invited them in to warm themselves and share in her meagre supper. They added to her larder with some C-rats. About an hour later, a squad of German soldiers (NOT SS, fortunately) arrived at the house. The woman invited them in as well, telling them to leave their weapons at the door. When they put their rifles down, they saw the American weapons stacked there as well. They too added their rations to the larder. The soldiers spent the next several hours talking, joking and singing Christmas carols. When dawn came, the truce ended and each squad went back to their sides. This story has made the rounds, and was reported in Ripley's as being factual. I don't know if it is or not, but I hope that it is; it shows a better side to humanity than is the norm. I seem to recall that it was also enacted on the old Ripley's TV show, you might have seen it there.
Reply to
The Old Man

I know it was with Lee Marvin and some other Japanese Actor. His plane crashes on the Island. They chase , scream at each other and try to Kill each other for almost the whole movie. You see them make friends and make a Raft to get to another Island to see how things are and when they find enough food to sit down and share a meal with each other they both get Killed in what would seem to be Heavy Naval Gun Fire to the Island.

On a side Note. Both of them were actually in the War in Pacific

... Carl ..........

,,

Reply to
cyberborg 4000

I remember vaguely a story from an old 'Boy's Life' Scouting magazine., from the early '70s. It was set in WWI & it was Christmas & there was some sort of situation where the battle was stalled. All else I remember was one side throwing a turkey to the enemy & then, the other side throwing what was thought initially a grenade, but turned out it was a bottle of wine. I don't whether or not it was true or just a tale.

On Jun 29, 5:41 am, The Old Man wrote:

Reply to
frank

"None But The Brave" (1965)

Directed by Frank Sinatra of all people!

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I've heard about the story and recall a movie made about this same event. I don't remember its name. Whether or not it actually happened, I don't know, but the movie was compellingly good.

Reply to
Kaliste Saloom

I think I remember that one. I believe the Japanese actor was Mako.

TF

Reply to
TF

Toshiro Mifune

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"Hell in the Pacific". They don't kill each other but the Japanese (Tosiro Mifune) soldier dies at the end when the US lands on the island to rescue Lee Marvin.

Great movie.

J. W. Alger

Reply to
John

"Hell in the Pacific":

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

So did we ever decide what the right answer was?

TF

Reply to
TF

A Midnight Clear is the one I was thinking of. Thanks for the info as I couldn't think of the title for the life of me.

Cheers, Tom

Reply to
tomservo

Glad to help.