OT: Anyone see the Flyboys Movie?

hope its not one of those special effects and not much more movies...

saw an ad last night that appeared to show all the aircraft from both sides all in the air at the same time....

Craig

Reply to
crw59

I saw it in the movies and thought it was just a great fllm. It seemed to have been very well done but I don't have any idea as to how much of it was done using CGI

I would really love to see a model of that big Air Shp they had , as well as the one of that Big Bomber they had.

... Carl ..........

,,

Rama-Lama-BIG-BORG ; BORG TEMPLE N.Y. Central-Park-West ; Master Builder of blessed temple KITS ; Keeper of Secret Temple Decoder Rings & Bracelets ; Fluent-in-1st--Degree--TALK-to-the-HAND

--TEMPLE-ETTE--Guards--SIX--&--SEVEN--

The----WORLD--WIDE--WEB----is totally jam packed with thousands of people who are Destined to be nothing more then a faded weatherbeaten

---CHALK--OUTLINE--- along the---INFORMATION--SUPER--HIGHWAY---

This is My Main Modeling Page and Web-Site

And Introducing "SPOT -the- CAT"

Yessss , I'm the -real- "Bad Santa"
quick LooK into My Life

cyberborg 4000

Web-Site

CAT"

Santa"

Life

The flying parts were 98% computer simulation...........

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Did Flyboys ever make it to the cinema in the UK. I kept an eye out for it but never saw it advertised.

I know it was considered to be a bad film - just wondering whether it got canned before it reached UK.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

the ads on tv here did not look very realistic. it was way too cgi efxy for my tastes. and the dialogue looked like hokum......i suspect hollywoody and not history.

i wish you used a sig delimiter! anyway, it was ok? what was the bomber supposed to be? brit or german? tanks....

There were both German and British Bombers in the flick. The Brits bombing Jametz were identified as Handley-Pages. The German twin engine type they showed was a twin engine pusher - I'm guessing Gothas.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

so did they actually look like the 0100 and 400s? them's seriously cool ac. so are the gothas but i'm jonesing so badly for a staaken i think i'll lose it. every month it's the same...just not in the budget. i sold 4 ho building kits on sleazebay and it still didn't work. tanj.

e I guess that you didn't get my previous posts to please contact me. I want to get that lttle decal off to you before it gets lost in the shuffle.

I liked Fly Boys. Yes, too much cg in the action scenes, but still fun. As to so many airplanes being in the sky at the same time and place...that happened quite often. The one thing that threw me a little off was that there were two different types of Nieuports. One was very nicely done, the other had swept back wings. Not too noticible except to us anal types and, yes, I kept my mouth shut until we were out of the theatre and Lynne says "OK, go ahead."

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

i did indeed miss your missive. i will fire off the data you need posthaste with my gratitude. swept back wings? i would have let the whole audience know! on the way out the door.

FWIW, I was watching Ebert and Roper the other day and they both added it to thier worst 10 list for '06. I have yet to see it, but for me that usually means I'll like it.

Rusty White Flagship Models Inc.

Rusty White

I watched the DVD on Sunday evening. I liked the movie. It wasn't the best movie I ever saw but it's probably better than anything nominated for an Academy Award this year.

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Air Classics magazine had a *review* of it right before it came out

The producers looked at the *flying* movies that were successfully in the past and realized that the ones that did the best were the one's that had the most real aircraft flying. They tried to emulate this. Hells Angles was supposedly a big influence to them.

Supposedly (havnt seen it yet) most of the aerial scenes were done with as much/many real flying aircraft as possible.

Helo's were used as the camera platforms, and an old WW II military area were used as the scenery.

Reply to
AM

indeed. well, i do have two freebies at lackluster video. i will rent and watch.

I could be wrong, but I would have to say no. At least the battle scenes. Mostly CGI and very nice looking. It only broke down on some of the flight dynamics where the will of the hero flying the plane negated gravity and a few other laws of nature on command. That and sitting still taking an enormous amount of MG punishment (esp to the cockpit area) w/o dying. Typical Hollywood hail of gunfire, nobody hurt. A

And there is this one act of precision shooting while plausible and possibly even grounded in a an actual event - stretches the suspension of disbelief a wee bit too much.

Still worth the cost of the DVD rental. I still hope to hear more on how well they did on the CGI models.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Flying scenes very cool. The rest of the movie, thumbs down.

Reply to
WWJBD

Got it on Netflix so saw it on small screen, then today went to the Museum of Flight in Seattle and saw it on the big screen. It each Sunday in February at the museum.

It's very predictable and formulaic, but it's still a fun movie. I was happy to see HP 0/400's and Gothas in there, albeit CGI. I noticed a continuity error today when watching them intercept the Gothas that had "just bombed" whatever the target was... the GGI guys apparently did great research but didn't have the script; the Gothas had full loads of underwing bombs. It's a small thing that's common in every movie.

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni