OT: Boot Camp Memories -

does this bring back any memories of those who have been in the military?

Craig

who me?

Craig

I have heard the Paris Island record... a buddy of mine had his Dad's which he had received from his recruiter... spooky.

rich

Reply to
Rich

no...is it supposed to ?

Reply to
teh insane Gaymer

That one guy missed his "woman and squirrel huntin'"

I think I served with him!

The Old Timer

Yes it does, just the yelling voice of the nice DI! LOL. I can't say I missed my woman though, she broke up with me before I got in....I went in to piss her off, didn't work though! She still didn't think any higher of me, so I met other women, they were impressed by a man in an officers uniform, or so I thought!

Reply to
Rusty Unger

When I watched the movie "Full Metal Jacket" at the theater when it first came out 10-12 years ago, the first half, featuring R. Lee Ermey as the Drll Instructor had me sweating in in the seat. I can't recall a much more realistic theatrical depiction of what Marine Boot Camp was like for me in

1966.

Of course, the second half sucked big time. I have the movie on an old Laser Disc and still watch it every once in a while but I always stop it once the Boot Camp part is over. I participated in the Hue City Campaign and that part of the movie was a bunch of crap!

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

USN 68-73, I remember my barracks being right next to the fenceline in San Diego and seeing you guys marching late at night while I was on watch.

Reply to
Grandpa

I did boot camp at MCRD San Diego and I certainly did my share of marching that fenceline! :~)

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I did my two years in the Army. Did my basic at Ft. Bragg and could never figure out how so much sand got so far inland? Mike IPMS RVN 66-67

Reply to
Mike Keown

You want sand? Try Sand Hill at Ft. Benning, GA in the middle of summer. I think the Army and the Marines intentionally picked the most godawful possible places to conduct basic training..... :(

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Worst place I ever flew into (and right out again thank god) was 29 Stumps, CA. A Marine I-dunno-whatchacallit-place, extremely hot in summer, sand as far as the eyes could see and metal grates on the sand for a runway. I'm sure those stationed there loved it. I was glad for aircraft and the USN!

Reply to
Grandpa