OT: fireplace starter -cedar wood

I'm assuming other modelers besides me do home projects and have a fireplace. I'm cedar lining closets and ending up with a pile of small pieces of 3/8" x 4 " cedar tongue and grove. The wood has aromatic properties that make it keep moths out of closets. Question is - can I use the remnants (nice dry thin wood) as kindling in the fireplace or is there some negative aspect - like the burned aromatics being harmful. - besides chasing Mothra back to Yukahata Wherever. Again sorry for the OT post -but it seems to me someone here may have the answer.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Here in the Pacific NW, Good, dry ceder is the ONLY decent kindling to use. Burns Great and smells nice as well. Also great for smoked Salmon and other neat stuff.

We used to burn almost exclusively ceder in our fireplace, but since the tree huggers and Spotted Owl habitat thing, the availability has gone to just about nothing.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Filer

There is nothing wrong with burning cedar. The only "negative", is the presence of sap, which may cause loud "POP!"'s every now and then.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Thanks for the info - I get a feeling that I'll end up with a lot of small pieces after doing four closets and some drawers - so I'll have plenty for this year or so - get hooked on it just as it runs out. Thanks again - I'm also looking into using it for smoked fish on the grill now. Thanks again.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

You had me worried there until I re-read that. I thought you were being plagued by Martha. Let her out of jail and........

Bill Banaszak, MFE ;)

Reply to
Mad-Modeller