OT: Hurricane Found Buried in London

WWII fighter dug up in London Tuesday, June 1, 2004 Posted: 10:40 AM EDT (1440 GMT)

WWII pilot Holmes, second right, looks on as the engine of his Hurricane fighter is dug up. London Great Britain Germany LONDON, England (AP) -- Archaeologists say that they have unearthed parts of a World War II fighter plane that crashed after downing a German bomber near Buckingham Palace.

Archaeologist Christopher Bennett said the plane's engine and control panel were located late Sunday during excavations in Buckingham Palace Road in the center of the capital.

The Battle of Britain was raging over the skies of London when pilot Ray Holmes spotted the German Dornier bomber on September 15, 1940.

Historians believe the German plane may have been on a mission to destroy Buckingham Palace.

Holmes had run out of ammunition so he flew his Hurricane directly into the German plane.

He managed to use his aircraft to slice off the bomber's tail and parachuted out of his plane before it hit Buckingham Palace Road. The Dornier plunged into part of Victoria Station.

Holmes's plane, which hit the ground at around 350 miles an hour (560 kph), was largely buried under a water main and never recovered. The road was later paved over.

Holmes, 89, was present as the engine was lifted to ground level.

"Well, it's such a mess that it is hard to realize that it came out of the airplane," he told a Channel Five TV show documenting the dig.

The engine and other fragments found during the dig will go on display as part of Westminster Council's West End at War weekend on June 12 and 13.

Footage of the crash survives and will be broadcast on a giant screen in Leicester Square over the weekend.

Reply to
who me?

I believe the Dornier involved in this incident is the one in the famous picture of a Do-17 plunging above the roof tops of London. The tail is gone and both wing panels outboard of the engine nacelles. If I remember correctly, Holmes bailed out and landed in a dustbin. As he was cleaning himself off and climbing out, up to him walks a chap he had been to school with, who promptly asks what had to have been a stupid question. "What are you doing here?"

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Bill Shuey wrote

They showed parts of the excavation live on Channel 5 on Sunday night, and Ray Holmes there so they could ask him vaguely idiotic questions. "What goes through a young pilot's mind when he takes off to fight the Germans ?" "Nothing in particular"

Holmes claimed that he was caught on a fence or something, and was freed by two "rather pretty" women, made dates with them, but couldn't keep the dates because of a squadron move.

The best part of the programme was Holmes' perfectly reasonable lack of interest in bits of the Hurricane he broke 64 years ago. Presented with a choice between inspecting the engine and inspecting a bubbly blonde in a hard hat, he got a secure grip on the blonde, leaving the engine to younger men.

They also were showing a simultaneous dig in Germany, where an Australian had left a Spitfire XIV in a pond. Again, they had the pilot on hand to answer questions. Best moment here was, after lectures about Hurricanes and different models of Spitfire, the interviewer turns to the pilot and earnestly enquires "And which plane do you think affected the war most ?" "Oh, the Mustang" answers the pilot, at which point they cut back to London where Ray Holmes is whispering in the blonde presenters ear...

Reply to
Rik Shepherd

I'm glad someone else found Channel Five's programme less than stimulating. The BBC and even Channel Four do this kind of thing much better. Mr Holmes was by far and away the most entertaining participant, proving that you can't keep a "fighter jock" down no matter how old he is.

Reply to
Les Pickstock

I think on CNN they mentioned he was 89- I guess once a fighter jock, always a fighter jock. Good hunting with that blonde!!

Reply to
Jim Atkins

yes he was more interested in the chicks and blonde in the hard hat, seemed he thought he hadnt done anything special.

Old wrinky and hard of hearing yet more botherd about the ladeeeeeeeees, my type of guy

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

There's a man with his priorities in correct order! He's not as old as they think he is. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Ralph Barker devotes a chapter to him in "That Eternal Summer", a great book about some lesser known heroes of the Battle of Britain

Reply to
Tom Cervo

He certainly has some lead in his pencil still! I loved the way at the end he was more interested in the blonde than any/thing else and seemed really disappointed that she wanted to talk about his bits, okay, the bits of his aircraft.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

"Richard Brooks" wrote in news:c9l39g$sr9$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk:

You mean his naughty bits?

I fear a surge of Pythonesque humor will follow.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I was imagining him doing a crotchety old Peter Cook impression and saying "Hello! I've got a bag of Werthers and some puppies at home. Would you like to come back to my place ?"

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Or a Benny Hill-esque romp with "Yakkety Sax" playing in the background...

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

did you know he was born into a rich family and never needed to work a day in his life? he did an awfull lot and made lots of laughs. when i heard his story, i got a lot more respect. and he was actually funny.

I saw some clips of the Benny Hill Show on the Russian Ostankino channel some years back so it's not just armaments we export! ;-)

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks