OT: is that you, Ameila?

Time may tell...

Rufus

I don't think I want to know. Some mysteries are more interesting as mysteries. If we find out they are hers, the next thing you know someone will find Nessie.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

I'm betting on turtle bones. They think it's her remains because they want it to be.

Reply to
eyeball

I agree; there are a few mysteries that should stay that way. Like Flight 19, for example. I've read the Bermuda Triangle proponents, and I've read the skeptics. Just admit they flew off on their mission and then into the unknown, and leave it at that. The PBM, though, can be readily explained as a midair explosion. (passing tanker saw an explosion in the air, and U.S.S. Solomons tracked the PBM on radar until it disappeared off scope-at the time and place the tanker saw the explosion)

Reply to
Matt Wiser

The PBM, though, can be readily explained as a midair explosion. (passing tanker saw an explosion in the air, and U.S.S. Solomons tracked the PBM on radar until it disappeared off scope-at the time and place the tanker saw the explosion)

The explosion is a mechanism by which the plane disappeared - but it doesn't explain why the plane exploded - still much room for sepculation here - everything from poor maintenance to a UFO Ray Gun to weird static electric effects in the triangle. How many PBMs exploded that year in other areas beside the Bermuda Triangle?

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

Those Martin flying boats had a propensity for leaking tanks. Don't know how many actually exploded, but have heard that a lot had leaky tanks.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Agreed, and if just one crewman decided to try to sneak a quick smoke.....

Reply to
The Old Man

Don't know offhand, but I do have the Board of Inquiry proceedings for the incident, and they do mention several inflight fires/explosions of PBMs before 5 Dec 45. The plane sent its departure report at 6:45 PM, and was told to report again at 8:30. The explosion was seen by S.S. Gaines Mills at 7:30. U.S.S. Solomons (CVE-67) reported the plane going off scope at the same time.

Reply to
Matt Wiser

one of my seaplane books says they were prone to fuel fires internally because of crappy lines. like the b24's.

Reply to
someone