(OT) Is There a Stuka on Warbird Circuit?

Title says it all. Is there a Stuka on the warbird circuit in the US or Europe? If not, it it because most Stukas were destroyed during the war?

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
MAYSUN5961

There is no Stuka on the warbird circuit in the U.S., or anywhere else at this point in time. There are only a couple of Stukas in existence. One in the RAF Museum collection, there is one in the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, USA; and I believe there is one in France and one in the U.S. National Air and Space collection, although not on display. Definitely none flying.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

If there is, I've never heard of it, and believe you me, if there was, it would make headlines in the warbirds press. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

interesting. just what Axis planes are still flying? anything?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

didn't someone have a 3/4 scale homebuilt stuka a few years back?

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

A few 109s (including a few Spanish-made, merlin engined birds,) a CASA HE-111 (I believe - again, merlins,) a Zero (at Chino?) are all that come to mind at the moment.

There's also replicas, like the ME-262s that were a soap opera in and of themselves....

Reply to
EGMcCann

Add the Fiesler Fi.156 Storch, Junkers Ju 52 and a few Bucker types.

Some are made elsewhere (France, Czechoslovakia, etc.).

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Somewhere around 25 years ago there was a 7/10 scale Stuka. I saw it at a few airshows between '77 & '81. the primary structure was a modified Fairchild PT-19 airframe. Don't know what ever became of it.

Reply to
famvburg

If I remember correctly, the CASA He-111 went down in Arizona a couple years ago and was a total loss. Checking Google, I come up with

and
as references.

Reply to
Sean Malloy

There were also the Percival Provosts converted to look like Stukas for the film Battle of Britain.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Fiat G.59 (re-engined G.55). Probably still a few Bf 108 out there somewhere.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Um, make that Proctors.

Sorry.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Several Stukas have been salvaged from the former Soviet Union. I believe they have made their way to New Zealand. I don't know if they'll be restored to flying condition, but that is the only chance we'll have of seeing a flying Stuka. They have put some Polikarpov fighters in the air. PT

Reply to
Giessenlad

Hi Jeff, Heard a rumor that one is being restored to flying over in New Zealand , maybe a Kiwi could confirm this for us,

Reply to
Jimbo D

IIRC, There was an article in Flight Journal a little over a year ago that was telling of a company in Germany that was setting up to build new Fw.190's using jigs found in the former East Germany. According to the article, they also had found jigs for Stukas and were considering building them as well. From what I remember, this co. had gotten permission to start up with the werke no. from where the last Fw had been done during the war. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any further updates of this project but I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :)

Bill

Reply to
Darkside24us

Yes, the Wk.Nr's continue on....it's designate FW190A-8N (N for New) And a kit - you put it together - complete with engine, is 535,000 Euro's. I assume Plus shipping. They say they'll build you a Dora - but you're on your own finding an inverted V-12 to stick in it. No armor, no guns, no self-sealing tanks....so it's a bit lighter. 1800 H.P. Russian Radial. Should perform a bit better, I should think.

What's a Euro running, these days? About $1.35? So that still less thn $750k. WAY cheaper than a Mustang, or Corsair.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin M. Vernon

are those 262 repros done? can't seem to find them.

check it out. Tell ya everything ya wanna know.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin M. Vernon

As I understand it, the first one to fly was a 2 seater and was promptly badly damaged in a crack up. Don't know where the project stands as a result of that.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

figures....probably blew a couple of mil....