OT: "signatures"

ditto

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Are you reading the same newsgroup I am???

A majority of the simpletons here can't even spell or write a complete sentence, let alone manage a signature.

Haven't even touched on staying on subject occasionally, or saying something without foul language.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Filer

I'm not sure I understand your comment. Are you saying that all who read and post on RMS are simpletons and the majority of said simpletons cannot manage a complete sentence, a signature, or refrain from profanity?

Or do you mean that the majority who read and post on RMS are simpletons and said majority cannot manage a sentence, signature, or refrain from profanity?

If the latter is true, who populates the minority of non-simpletons?

-- -- " In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

My home page:

Bill Woodier

Norm.....Speak for yourself, I haven't seen anything untoward in here apart from the odd spam poster

Reply to
Mark Stevens

As Ron opined..."excess verbiage" is far more annoying, and wasteful. It is proper to include the original posters text, in your reply... but it is not necessary to include *their* signature as well. I have no problem with elaborate signatures, but I also feel it is okay to edit out that part of someone else's post, when you do your reply.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

See! Signatures *do* serve a useful purpose!

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Then there's the misuse of punctuation marks.

Chill, dude. You just used up a whole lot of good will. Save some for later.

Reply to
Guy N. LaFrance

Très drôle! :-D Snatched for my tagline file!

Reply to
Guy N. LaFrance

I personally hate long sigs. I don't use them. It's a waste of bandwith and storage space. I do find them "cute" if I receive them in occasional emails.

But seeing the same 25 line ASCII "graphic" on the newsgroup in hundreds of postings gets very annoying. Everybody is trying to be cute and personalize their messages, but isn't Usenet about sharing tips and ideas, and about getting help from your fellow modelers and not about being "cute" and unique?! (Sorry for the run-on sentence).

Also, clipping the quoted verbage (when possible) is a good idea.

I also don't much care for Digital Security Signatures as they aren't really required in Usenet type of forums. How often do we need to prove that a certain posting really came from us?

There are places on the Internet which show the Usenet Netiquette, and I'm sure that most of the above is part of the rules.

I'm guilty of not adhering to all those rules at some point in the time, but for most part, I do try...

:-)

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

I couldn't care less--some are vaguely amusing; others not, The only downside I can see is that it's sometimes tough to find a short message text inthe midst of all the adornment.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

It doesn't matter one bit to me whether or not a poster has a signature line (long, short, or in between). If the poster enjoys putting in a signature line, it doesn't hurt me one bit as long as I can pick the post out of the sig line.

-- -- " In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

My home page:

Bill Woodier

LOL! I recently heard this twit is so involved with himself that he sings himself to sleep at night. I'll cheerfully provide the bullets. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper