OT: The winner of Super Bowl XL is...

Interesting. That's the only 1/40 scale Heller kit I'm aware of that later got relabeled as 1/48.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

If you send an e-mail to Chris Bryan at Box Art (you know him from Scale Modeling Nostalgia, I think), he has a copy of the instructions that I sent him for the group, as well as the box art. He can verify what I'm telling you.

Reply to
The Old Man

What makes you think I don't believe you? I don't need anyone else to verify it.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Sorry Al, I guess I'm just being touchy. Its been an "interesting" week and maybe I was just venting.

Reply to
The Old Man

Not to worry. I've been known to vent once in a while myself. ;)

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Congratulate me. I got through the entire season without viewing a single football game.

Watching is so useless. Every season, somebody wins, somebody loses. By March it is all forgotten.

You guys probably missed the best single sporting matchup of 2005. It was on ESPN nationwide, live in June. 60,000 screaming fans in Philadelphia. Johns Hopkins (undefeated) vs. Virginia ...... semi final for the NCAA Division One Lacrosse Championship. 6 seconds left, JHU down by one, face off at mid-field. They have to win the face-off, run down half the field, pass once, pass twice, shoot, score ...... overtime with one second left.

Hopkins wins 5 minutes into overtime and advances to the finals to win it all over Duke.

The Virginia game had everything. Hopkins dominates utterly the first half. Stickwork unmatched anywhere in the world. Thunderstorm delay .... Virginia comes out hot and scores half a dozen unanswered points. Hopkins begins to panic, but manages to tie it, only to see Virginia score with those six seconds left.

The rest ...... they say ..... is one for the history books.

The ESPN announcer crew, unused to broadcasting a lacrosse game live nationwide, were literally stunned by how exciting the game had been. They were speechless, almost. And they said so, "The most exciting game they had ever seen in any sport."

Plus, Hopkins had the best African American lacrosse player (Kyle Harrison - midfielder) since Jim Brown played for Syracuse in the 1950s. Yes ...... that Cleveland Browns Jim Brown.

Every black kid in Baltimore now rides the school bus with a lacrosse stick ..... Harrison was such a hero and inspiration. Those kids are thinking, "If Kyle can do it, so can we. I am trying out for the varsity team."

The JHU/Virginia game was not only heart-stop exciting, but meaningful to many lives as these black kids go on to win college athletic scholarships and actually graduate from university .... Yale, Harvard, Cornell, Virginia, Rutgers, Navy, Army, Hofstra, Maryland, Princeton. All schools that produce the future movers and shakers of America.

They all know, if they get to university on a lacrosse scholarship, and fail to graduate, they are failures. So guess what? They buckle down and make it through.

Who won the Super Bowl? How many Super Bowl players graduated college (count on one hand, probably)? Who cares?

...../V [JHU, '67, Engineering]

Reply to
Vess Irvine

"Vess Irvine" wrote

Wow. KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Actually, Madden made his comments during the replay, on slow-motion no less. He summed it up by saying that he did not see any holding on the play. I looked at it again on TiVo both full speed and slow and his arms were inside. If anything, the guy he was blocking had jumped off-side.

How about Ben saying on Letterman that he didn't make it? Or the ref running out with one arm up until he was close (after Roethlisberger moved the ball across) then switching to the touchdown signal?

Okay. But considering three failed attempts plus end of the half, a tying score, and a conservative coach? Odds are they would have gone with the field goal. Any coach would agree it would be the right call.

I never said there was a "fix". I said the referees stunk. And as poorly as the Steelers were playing in the first half, I don't know if the refs could have "fixed" it for them. Especially not on their first drive. Or their second. Or their third, etc. They were three-and-out every time.

As I said, I don't think there was a "fix". If there was a "fix", then they would have used it. I'm not sure if this call was reviewable anyways but I was surprised that they made it in the first place. I've seen plenty of true helmet contact over the season that didn't even warrant a second look by the refs.

If there was any pre-planning by the refs, I don't think it was to "fix" the game for the Steelers but perhaps to just over-call everything. But I'm not sure if that was the problem or just that the refs stunk even more than in the conference championship round of the playoffs. But either way, I don't see how anyone can objectively say that the referees didn't have a major influence on the outcome of Super Bowl.

I don't recall Madden or Young saying anything in regards to either. I do remember both Young and Irvin making comments about the Jackson touchdown in the post-game -- basically, to the effect that it should have been a touchdown.

In the last week, I've seen every excuse in the book as to why the referees were fair. And the NFL won't admit that there is a problem. Say what you will about the rulebook or what-ever, but the perception across the country (not just in Seattle) is that the officials greatly changed the outcome of the game. If the NFL were smart, they would realize they have a problem at least with fan perception of their showcase game.

Again, I doubt there was a "fix". I don't see how it would be possible to keep a scandal that big under wraps, anyways. But it doesn't really matter if there wasn't as much as it matters that a heckuva lot of people think there was. The game is all about getting people to watch and they won't if they think it's predetermined. I have watched every Super Bowl since IV but after the lousy playoffs and especially this lousy Super Bowl, I'm starting to wonder if I will make time to watch next year. I usually have to take time off from work to watch the Super Bowl and I just don't know if it's worth it anymore.

Reply to
els_worth

I hope they're also carrying some school books and spending some time in them. One player in thousands athletes make it big enough in sports to earn a living at it. And many of them turn into jerks along the way.

Reply to
Bill Woodier