OT: The winner of Super Bowl XL is...

Even though the AFC usually makes me regret it when I pick in favor of them or pick against them...
... Pittsburgh by 10... so sez the bleeding at the arse Panthers fan.
So, are you watching the game tonight? Who's your pick and spread?
WmB
I was watching Charles Osgood this morning and the Chicago Bears won Super Bowl XXII (electric football that is).
Ray Austin, TX == WmB wrote:

Damn I'm good... and if the referees had been too the score would have been more like 17-14 in favor of the Seahawks. 2005 has to be one of the worst years for blown calls I can recall, SB-XL was no different. Then again the referees didn't miss two field goals either - so congrats to the Steeler fans... and my point spread. ;-)
So how are the builds coming - and the Merlot... hiccup...
WmB
P.S. Paul Giamatti and Merlots, permanently linked in my mind thanks to the movie "Sideways".

A second replay or something for those - like me - who didn't catch the first one.

That's hardly proof that he knew he didn't make it.

Rather, I'd think, "At a minimum. . ."

Not at all. I just mention it as a counter to those - like Tontoni - who throw "fix" about so freely. If they wanted to make the fix more plausible they would've let the Steelers score on their first drive.

No, but again, if a fix was wanted, why not use something like this?

I won't argue Madden or Young. . .
What was Madden's or Young's summation of the game as a whole? Was it ". . .a good team can overcome one or two bad calls but there were just too many in this game for the Seahawks to overcome" or was it "a good team can overcome one or two failures to produce but there were just too many in this game for the Seahawks to overcome"?
KL
If not a "fix", what else would you call it when the referees were obviously biased heavily against the seahawks? That was really about par with WWF, or whatever they call professional wrestling now. Had the refs done their jobs, I think the score would have been 24-0 Seattle at half time and people would have turned off their sets; everyone says they hate a superbowl blow-out, so the refs got creative.
HOWEVER... although the officials did everything they could to keep the steelers in the game during the first half (it took well into the second quarter for the steelers to get a first down at all!), the seahawks blew many opportunities to beat the steelers AND the officials at the same time.
You could sense the seattle defense soften in the second quarter; they were playing very tentatively and were shaken. Holmgren should have gotten them fired up for the third quarter --- what I expected --- but the seahawks never got back the momentum with which they began the game.
People here in Seattle are saying 'what until next year', but I'm thinking this is like wrestling... why bother. Like my dad used to say, TV spoiled wrestling, which was a sport before it was entertainment. For TV, they came up with the characters, evil and good etc, and they scripted it. I wonder if TV has destroyed football the same way. Call it sour grapes if you like, but it seems that if this is how football will be played from now on, stick a fork in it. It's finished.
--- Tontoni

So then...what was the NFL's rationale for making sure the Steelers won?
Kevin
On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 17:38:54 -0500, "Kevin Carroll"

So Mean Joe Greene wouldn't rip their ears off when his alma mater didn't win? Some of us remember what he used to do with refrigerators... ;-)
--
M. J. Rudy
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
wrote in message

To make up for sticking it to 'them' last year in the AFC championship game :-)
-- Chuck Ryan Springfield OH

Kurt Laughlin wrote:

Actually, Madden made his comments during the replay, on slow-motion no less. He summed it up by saying that he did not see any holding on the play. I looked at it again on TiVo both full speed and slow and his arms were inside. If anything, the guy he was blocking had jumped off-side.

How about Ben saying on Letterman that he didn't make it? Or the ref running out with one arm up until he was close (after Roethlisberger moved the ball across) then switching to the touchdown signal?

Okay. But considering three failed attempts plus end of the half, a tying score, and a conservative coach? Odds are they would have gone with the field goal. Any coach would agree it would be the right call.

I never said there was a "fix". I said the referees stunk. And as poorly as the Steelers were playing in the first half, I don't know if the refs could have "fixed" it for them. Especially not on their first drive. Or their second. Or their third, etc. They were three-and-out every time.

As I said, I don't think there was a "fix". If there was a "fix", then they would have used it. I'm not sure if this call was reviewable anyways but I was surprised that they made it in the first place. I've seen plenty of true helmet contact over the season that didn't even warrant a second look by the refs.
If there was any pre-planning by the refs, I don't think it was to "fix" the game for the Steelers but perhaps to just over-call everything. But I'm not sure if that was the problem or just that the refs stunk even more than in the conference championship round of the playoffs. But either way, I don't see how anyone can objectively say that the referees didn't have a major influence on the outcome of Super Bowl.

I don't recall Madden or Young saying anything in regards to either. I do remember both Young and Irvin making comments about the Jackson touchdown in the post-game -- basically, to the effect that it should have been a touchdown.
In the last week, I've seen every excuse in the book as to why the referees were fair. And the NFL won't admit that there is a problem. Say what you will about the rulebook or what-ever, but the perception across the country (not just in Seattle) is that the officials greatly changed the outcome of the game. If the NFL were smart, they would realize they have a problem at least with fan perception of their showcase game.
Again, I doubt there was a "fix". I don't see how it would be possible to keep a scandal that big under wraps, anyways. But it doesn't really matter if there wasn't as much as it matters that a heckuva lot of people think there was. The game is all about getting people to watch and they won't if they think it's predetermined. I have watched every Super Bowl since IV but after the lousy playoffs and especially this lousy Super Bowl, I'm starting to wonder if I will make time to watch next year. I usually have to take time off from work to watch the Super Bowl and I just don't know if it's worth it anymore.
...the team that scores the most points. ;-p

My "From" address is munged - use 'modeleral (at) swbell (dot) net' to respond
Me, 'cause I'll be working on my 1:40 Heller Coleopter, to be followed by a glass (or two) of Merlot and a good book.

1/40 scale? You sure you weren't *already* imbibing on that Merlot?

My "From" address is munged - use 'modeleral (at) swbell (dot) net' to respond
No, I've scaled it out. This the first issue from the late 1950s or early 1960s, no decals. Go to Yahoo BoxArt to check out the, well the Box Art. Green Background. I'm told that the later boxart (black border that included decals) was 1:48, but I can't verify that. The Merlot is fine BTW. 8-P

Thanks but if the kit's scale is indicated on the box it's too small to be legible.

My "From" address is munged - use 'modeleral (at) swbell (dot) net' to respond

Al - Just to make sure, I went out to the workshop and checked the instructions, which plainly state 1:40.

Interesting. That's the only 1/40 scale Heller kit I'm aware of that later got relabeled as 1/48.

My "From" address is munged - use 'modeleral (at) swbell (dot) net' to respond
If you send an e-mail to Chris Bryan at Box Art (you know him from Scale Modeling Nostalgia, I think), he has a copy of the instructions that I sent him for the group, as well as the box art. He can verify what I'm telling you.

What makes you think I don't believe you? I don't need anyone else to verify it.

My "From" address is munged - use 'modeleral (at) swbell (dot) net' to respond

Sorry Al, I guess I'm just being touchy. Its been an "interesting" week and maybe I was just venting.

Not to worry. I've been known to vent once in a while myself. ;)

My "From" address is munged - use 'modeleral (at) swbell (dot) net' to respond