Paddle Steamer photos

Hi Folks,

I am currently building a scale model of a paddel steamer but cannot find a photo or plan of the rudder assembly. Any suggestions would be appricated.

Thanks

Reply to
Mike Francis

Mike Francis wrote: : : I am currently building a scale model of a paddel steamer but cannot find a : photo or plan of the rudder assembly. : Any suggestions would be appricated. : I think you are going to have to find details of the specific paddle steamer, but my suspicion is that the rudder will be aft of the skeg(s), much as they would be on a sailing ship.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

There are a number of paddle steamer plans available. Try the plans venders in Ships in Scale magazine. Additionally, there is a book, The Western Rivers Steamboat Cyclopedia by Alan Bates that shows lots of details like this.

I assume we are talking about stern wheelers here. Sidewheelers have a conventional keel and rudder. The sternwheelers have multiple rudders on the aft of hull, just in front of paddlewheel. There is an arc cut out of the upper and rear edge to match radius of wheel. Bottom of hull, rudders, and wheels are just about even. Makes for shallow draft vehicle.

Reply to
Don Stauffer