Paint thinning truth or dare

There have been many post on the subject of the proper ratio of paint to thinner to use for airbrushing. 10, 20 , 30 even 50% thinner has been recommended. The reply to the query usually includes the guide to thin the paint to the consistency of milk. My questtion is has anybody actually tried to airbrush milk??? If so what kind, skim, 2%, whole, mothers, goat or soy? Have fun modeling, I sure am. Pete

Reply to
thelaws

on 11/5/2007 3:01 PM thelaws said the following:

We're working in small scale here, so it would be Mouse milk :-)

Reply to
willshak

Me too!

Does anyone else ever use any foodstuffs in their modelling?

I use salt. I use it as a mask to simulate chipped paint. Spray the airframe with whatever colour you wish to use to represent the metal. Then mix up a supersaturated solution of salt and water. Dab the solution along panel lines and whatever other areas you wish shown in bare metal and let it dry. Then spray the colour scheme over the top as normal. Once all the paint is dry, immerse the model in cold water and let the salt dissolve, leaving a perfect chipped paint appearance.

I have also used strong coffee to represent oil stains.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Er... you're supposed to drink the coffee, Enzo. :-)

Reply to
willshak

I use baking soda to simulate the grit in non-skid walkways on aircraft models. I mask the area and airbrush the walkway, then sprinkle on some baking soda while the paint is still wet. Then I spray a some color over that to blend. Looks pretty good. Looks even better if it chips a little and gets repaired/re-sprayed.

Reply to
Rufus

"thelaws" wrote in news:472f76ab$0$20620$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Good luck getting the mother's milk. Are you gonna arm wrestle the baby? Or just tell Mama you're trying to relieve her swollen breasts.

Frank, who is partially deranged from a month long stomach infection which seems to be finally subsiding.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Mad-Modeller wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nextline.com:

It really sucks, it's not enough to really lay you up until the cramps come, then forget everything. Rest of the time jsut bloated and sorta crampy, more uncomfortabel than anything. Until...

Antobiotics seem to be working. Had an endoscopy with a biopsy, a small bowel series and having a CT scan Monday just to be sure.

I just want to be able to eat by Thanksgiving. Chicken soup, white rice and bread is not a fitting diet for a man for 3 weeks!

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

with my back, we sound like a bunch of old farts.

Reply to
someone

Steal one of the pre-pumped bottles from the fridge. ;)

Sorry to hear that. I entertained the flu back in September for a week

- one of those where there's no comfortable spot on the bed. Everything hurt.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Heck, I was reading Mom's latest AARP mag and found an article of personal relevance. Seems like only yesterday I was running into Clearasil ads everywhere. Sigh.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

yeah, thos trojan ads are just funny now.

Reply to
someone

Back when I used them they were hidden under the drugstore counters. Now they're on display in the aisles. I had no idea there were so many varieties.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote in news:I2RYi.74309$ snipped-for-privacy@fe06.news.easynews.com:

And with the infection I had it's been a month of them. Even the dog growls when I let one go.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Geez, now my screen needs wiped dry.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I may know what he's talking about; I got a amoebic infection of some sort over in Leningrad a long time back that took around two months or more to clear up, and made my farts so bad that they could have knocked the proverbial buzzard off of the manure pile.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Another day, another cleaning...;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Ah but my cats.... somehow their farts make no noise (probably an evolutionary scheme to make hunting more effective) so you get no chance to either brace yourself or open a window... the smell is suddenly just THERE. Then consider their diet....oh god. Don't.

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

once during an "illness", my cat was sleeping under the covers by my chest. i had bad gas and she crawled out from under, jumped on me and gave me the most disgusted look ever seen. just keeping it level.

Reply to
someone