Panel Lines

While waiting to leave for germany with the guard in '82 we lined up behind a bunch of Iowa Air Guard A-7s on the runway and got to watch them fire up, squat down, and take off.

A friend found a F-4 while on a trip to the plane graveyards in I think Arizona that was about to be scrapped. He came home, raised $17,000, aquired the aircraft, got a plot of land and lots of labor donated, had it trucked in, and set it up outside an American Legion building inside a fence with lights and a veterans memorial. Its still unrestored in its tan (now sort of pink) and green scheme it wore in the early 70s. Its looking kind of shabby but it has that CARC paint that requires special handling. Ultimatly it will get a shinier coat to withstand the weather better.

Ironically, a friend of his stopped in his office while he was raising money and asked the tail number. Incredible, that was his very plane in Vietnam! His co-pilot (who had later become a POW) and him were reunited for the dedication and he now drives past it every day on his way to work. Spent a few hours crawling in and around it once. Probably build my 1/32 Revell AG Phantom over the holidays.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

Thank you for your sage advice, Mark... I feel so much better now :-)

As for chasing trophies etc - you get what you deserve if that's the only reason you build models. :-) Building for your own satisfaction should be the reward - anything else is a bonus, including the adulation of your peers.

RobG (the Aussie one)

differ. There, feel oriented now?

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

I guess its art, after a fashion, so to speak. I look at it more like a contest for realism. When I have completed a 1/48th scale model, I hold it at arms length and ask: " If I was standing 48 feet away from the real thing could the model I hold in my hand come close or equal it in realism?" Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, but that's all part of the game...to see how close I can come to a perfect superimposition. At least that's how I see it. I might add though, that since learning how to make my own decals, I now build kits to resemble that particular a/c in the colors and makings of how I would have had it, had I been the pilot of it...that's when it probably comes closer to real art and it sometimes can become a heady creative,experience to toss history out the window and 'do it like I want to' Seasons Greeting! Mike IPMS Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

You seem to have rather short arms?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Hillerøe Petersen

From what I've been told 1/48 th scale means that the model, held at arms length, represents a copy of the 'real thing' as viewed from 48 ft away :-) Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

An object at distance X should be seen the same size as a scale 1/Y model seen at distance X/Y, so if you hold it at arms length, and the distance is 48 ft, and the scale is 1/48, the length of your arm computes to 1 ft.

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Hillerøe Petersen

In article , Mike Keown writes

Shut one eye, to reduce stereoscopic problems, and the main one left will be aerial perspective. Distant colours look more washed out, so a model finished in perfectly matching paint will appear with colours too garish.

It's one of the issues of real and apparent scale.

Reply to
Chris Brown

Thank You Chris. That clears things up a bit. Lassie my arm are by recent measure is 27 inches from mid shoulder to middle finger. That would be almost 0.794 meter. But thank you for raising the question :-) Happy Holidays! Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

You know what they say about the length of a guy's arms... it means..... no wait.. that's something different.....

rich

Reply to
Rich