Panther and Banshee wing leading edges

Yesterday, I had to go up to the loft and came across some of my shameful, but growing, collection of half-finished stalled projects. In the hope of finishing some of them, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any suggestions for solving this problem.

Some years ago, I built an Airfix Banshee and a Hasegawa Panther and painted them overall Sea Blue for the Korean War period. I then realised that they need to have their leading edges painted aluminium. Can anyone tell me how far back this extends? It seems to be a broad strip. In addition, does anyone have any suggestions for measuring and marking this area prior to painting? The wings are assembled and the tip tanks are in place.

With these two out of the way, I might get on with the three Hawker Tempests, two Spitfires, He-112, UH-1N Twin Huey, Czech Il-10 and other things that need to be finished but currently sit in shoe boxes up there!

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

"Gordon McLaughlin" wrote in news:42ea0417@212.67.96.135:

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one doing that.

TF

Reply to
TForward

It sounds like this is a good time to try bare metal foil instead of paint, at least for the wings. I suspect that the bare metal area on the leading edge extended back as far as the first panel line, making it especially convenient for the foil. Apply a slightly larger piece of foil that extends past the panel line, burnish it all down, then trace the panel line with a NEW Xacto blade (I like the #16 offset blade for this).

Using the foil would be more of a problem for the tips of the wingtip tanks, but then, they would be easier to mask off and shoot with your favorite silver paint.

Dennis E. Sparks Lexington, KY

Reply to
sparks

Dennis,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I hadn't thought of using foil and your suggestion makes a lot of sense. I still need to check the width of the aluminium area but you might well be right about it following a panel line. Photographs suggest that it varied a little from one aircraft to another so the width might not be critical.

Thanks again,

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

I can't say how much of the leading edge on the two types was actually "bare metal" but I read somewhere that these were painted with a material called Corrogard (sp?) and was a coating that prevented corrosion of the metal. It was not particularly bright but dulled down the metal somewhat.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

I'm sure you're right about it being a corrosion protection rather than an unpainted strip. The same thing seems to have been done on the grey/white scheme but the strip was narrower and less noticeable.

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin