PB4Y-2s-anything besides the old Matchbox one?

Are there any other kits besides the old Matchbox one of the PB4Y-2 Privateer? Injection-molded preferred, as I have never done anything with resin or vacuform. I have the old Matchbox one and intend to build it (got it at a yard sale), but wondering if there have been any others...TIA.

Matt Wiser

There's an even older vac conversion from the early '70s, IIRC, for the Revell B-24. The Matchbox kit's your only shot.

Matt Wiser wrote:

Encryption =---

Reply to
frank

Reply to
Dave

Where'd ya get the wheel wells? tia,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

The magazine ad for the original release also featured a French Navy build-up--hides the homely bulges better, as would a Korean War version. Not sure why this isn't rereleased by Revell, who seems to have bought the Matchbox molds. I'm tired of seeing workhorses like this unavailable, while every plane ever dreamt of by the Luftwaffe gets released.

Reply to
Tom Cervo

paint scheme is cool.

The original Matchbox did three kits; the US Navy with the ERCO turret, the French Navy Version and the unturretted cargo plane. Revell AG has the molds, whether they're in Germany or China is hard to say. The fact they haven't rereleased it leads me to believe the mold may be damaged. Anyone in Oz seen a Chinese copy? tia,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Why so it is! I remembered it as a bit simpler, went and looked at mine and there it was. Thanks,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Reply to
Mark Levine

Didn't their B-50 line even consist of an announced B-50 or B-29 with the D-558-II? I don't know how their B-24s were laid out, but they may not have been such that it was a simple mold change to do the PB4Y-2.

Reply to
frank may

The PB4Y-2 is arguably a different plane (though clearly related to) the general run of Liberators. The engines are rotated through 90 degrees, which means changes inthe nacelles as well; the tail is totally different from the standard Liberator; there is no ventral turret and an additional dorsal turret, the waist positions are ERCO side blisters, the nose turret is also an ERCO type, the forward fuselage is seven feet longer, and there are probably detail differences I don't know about. It would be less work to do a new mold than to try to rework from a Liberator, but at that point, Academy has probably lost the economies that could justify the project.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Yup, that's what I meant but apparently should have said "Matchbox kit did three versions." More coffee! Doh!

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Nothing else. There are a few improvements for the MB one - Ron's Resins did a set of correct engine cowlings and Falcon do a clear parts in their US Navy clear parts set.

You could use the MB kit along with the Academy kit, I've seen that one done with the RR cowlings.

Don't reply to the btconnect address - and remove nospam!!

Reply to
Dave Fleming

What did the modeler use from the Academy kit? tia,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Fuselage and wings, undercarraige etc - used the extended nose , tailplane and turret mounts from the Privateer and the Ron's Resin cowls & Falcon canopies