Pearl Harbor B-17

anyone know what version was at Pearl in 1941?

Academy makes a few early versions and want to see if they offer that one....

thx - Craig

Reply to
crw59

If they were recent to Pearl Harbor on Dec.7, 1941, they were B-17Es. There might have been some earlier B-17Cs and Ds. The B-17E was the first with the big tail, which gave rise to the nickname "Big Ass Bird".

Reply to
willshak

Here's a good link:

The famous flight of unarmed B-17s that arrived during the attack was composed of four B-17Cs and two B-17Es.

Five B-17Ds were destroyed and eight damaged on the ground at Hickam.

Greg Reynolds, IPMS

Reply to
Greg

thx. found that I have the Academy B-17 C/D in the garage. Might get the "B" from Tower Hobbies. Anyone know off hand what the big diff is btwn the B and C/D?

Craig

Reply to
crw59

The most obvious difference between the B and C/D is the bulged side and top gun blisters. There are additional differences, but that's what will really jump out at you.

Reply to
GASean

Anyone heard rumors that a YB-17 model kit will be coming from Europe?

Reply to
Brian Burr Chin

I have an old Rare Planes YB-17 vacform from the early 1970s. Included in this kit is a 30 part conversion for the B-17D. If you're interested, contact me via e-mail. Pieces are complete and intact. Molding is female molds and thick (strong) plastic. Instructions are complete, such as they are. THERE ARE NO DECALS WITH THIS (THESE?) KIT(S)!!!!! Now that I have the thing dug out, if I don't hear from you, I'll most likely put it up on eBay in a week or so, rather than trying to put it back. (I really ~have got~ to thin the herd a bit! 8-D Regards, John

Reply to
The Old Man

One just sold on eBay May 11th, with a winning bid of $21.89 (US)

willshak

I have an old Microscale sheet that has markings for the YB-17. If anyone's interested, contact me.

Reply to
Pauli G

I had one of these in my teens, must have been early 1980s. I built the B17D conversion as a RAF Coastal Command aircraft, which I think made my build a B17C - I could be wrong, it was a long time ago. I sold the rest of the kit to another builder, kicked myself ever since as it was a really nice kit. Rareplanes made some of the best vacs of their era, better than many injection kits. You've got me tempted to start checking ebay..... Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

Thanks, Old Man, but I already have a Rareplanes yb17. Just hoping an injection kit came out; it would be easier to build. There are all kinds of unusual model subjects being issued today, but rarely American pre-war planes.

Reply to
Brian Burr Chin

We did decals for one of these a/c. On my old 1/72 delta Decals sheet Fortress at War...still have a few sets left in print.

Reply to
Glenn

No problem then. If anyone else is interested, look for it on eBay in the next couple of days, after I can take a couple of photos for the bid site.

Reply to
The Old Man